CHAPTER 11 - THE DINNER

The drive had been so silent of words for some moments since Lilianna and Rosie weren't talking. Only the sound of the car engine created noises around them, yet their minds spoke the loudest. Rosie might have her focus on the road, but her thoughts were mostly about the girl next to her. And Lilianna might have her eyes on Rosie, watching the girl switch gears and glance into the rear-view mirror from time to time, though she couldn't stop thinking about touching and hugging her friend again.

Until Rosie turned to her right and saw the way Lilianna was staring at her—half-opened eyes with indistinct recollection on the girl's face, the silence was broken.

"What?" Rosie asked, having a shy smile on her lips.

"Hmm?"

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I don't know, really." Lilianna sighed as she scooted closer to Rosie. "But I'm feeling cosy right now."

"So, staring at me makes you feel cosy?"

"Yeah, it's like I'm going to bed."

Chuckling, Rosie shook her head.

"Maybe the word is sleepy, not cosy. I make you feel sleepy!"

"No, no, that's not it." Lilianna disagreed, her hand was about to reach Rosie's but she stopped when she realised that the girl might need to handle the gear soon. "I'm not sleepy."

"But you look like you are," Rosie teased and pressed on the pedal harder, putting more speed to the car that was impossible for Lilianna not to notice the change. "You might need fresh air."

So Lilianna straightened her body, eyes wandering through the side window.

"Why are you speeding up?"

"Am I?" Rosie giggled, enjoying the cute panic on the girl's face.

"Yes, please slow down."

"This car is a smooth drive," Rosie diverted the topic, distracting Lilianna away from the main concern. "It's Porsche 944 Cabriolet."

"I—I'm sorry, I don't really know about cars."

"It means the entire roof can be retracted..." Rosie paused as her right hand pushed down a button on the console, and the canvas roof of the Porsche started moving toward the back of the car. "Just like that."

Lilianna stayed still on her seat, not knowing how to react to the sudden blow of wind once the roof and the side windows had moved. The outside noises barged in, disturbing the peace she had with Rosie earlier, and so did the cosiness. Nevertheless, the cold breeze on her skin and face made her feel fresh.

The speed increased, adding unexpected excitement for Lilianna to figure out. She was panicking a few seconds ago, but the wind whispered something familiar into her; this feels like cycling so fast at night after work! And by that, she had indulged comfort. Yet, it was a completely opposite story for the girl who was driving.

The comfort and confidence that Rosie shared with her best friend were taken away from her when a new view appeared in a form of distraction. It wasn't the same view she had been staring at for the past thirty minutes behind the wheel, this kind overpowered her focus on the road instead. She couldn't help herself this time as her eyes constantly glanced at the way Lilianna's hair flowed in the wind, exposing the length of the girl's neck. Her palms heat up, heart beating fast as it grew a weight of attraction she once felt toward Lilianna when they were both teenagers. And Rosie hadn't felt this feeling ever since, till now.

But the desire in Rosie's chest wasn't destined to last when Lilianna moved forward and got up from the seat, throwing Rosie into a panic state.

Grabbing Lilianna's waist as her reflex response, Rosie slowly put the brake on the Porsche.