Chapter 2

"Without charge." Nicollette heard her younger sister tell her mother.

 "What is without charge?" Nicollette asked: intrigued by such an idea. 

"Lady Whistledown," Adalene stated matter of factly. Nicollette sighed at her sister's vagueness and prodded further, 

"And what might Lady Whistledown be? Dear sister" Adalene had a large smile on her face as she spoke and told her sister all about the new gossip sheet,

 "She even lists their full names!" She squealed excitedly. Nicollette grabbed the sheet out of her sister's hand and started to read it. 

"She has declared Daphne as the season's incomparable," she whispered "a 'Diamond of the First Water'." Nicollette sighed at the thought of the scolding she would receive from her father when he heard of the news. Juliette noticed the disappointed expression on her eldest daughter's face. 

"Nicollette, my darling what's wrong? You should be overjoyed." She stated concerned for her daughter's current mood. Nicollette let out a heavy breathe before speaking,

 "It is just father. You know he gets." She stated. Juliette pursed her lips, she did in fact know how the Earl got. Between the pressure, he was putting on Nicollette to find the best husband possible and the pressure on Olivier to find a wife and have an heir; his children were soon to despise him. Juliette clapped her hands together to grab the attention of her daughters,

"Well my dear, no need to fret. We have a ball to get ready for." Nicollette let out a sigh and nodded her head, stood up, and made her way to her bedroom to get ready for Lady Danbury's ball. 

Across the ton square, Lady Bridgerton was having a word with her son. "Anthony, it is time you start looking for a wife." Anthony scoffed at his mother's words. 

"Mother we have had this conversation." He said exasperated with the discussion at hand. Violet's eyes darkened in anger and her nostrils flared, she took a deep breath to calm herself, 

"Anthony, please just look over the list of names I have given you." and with that, she walked out of her son's study. Anthony glanced at the list sitting on his desk; Nicollette Arquette-Daughter of the Earl of Arquette was the name at the top of the list. Anthony thought about the young woman's debut in front of the Queen and how graceful she was, she certainly would make a fine Viscountess. Anthony had heard of the Earl's want of the best match for his daughter, with or without love. Anthony continued to stare at the name and realized that a proposal from him would be considered a good match for the young lady and her father would have no care if love were involved. Anthony had decided he would try and get to know the young lady and see if he could at least get along with the woman but would be sure he would never fall in love. 

The Arquette family carriage pulled up to Danbury house and stopped in front of the entrance. A footman approached the carriage and opened the door and offered his hand to the young Arquette lady. Nicollette grasped onto the man's hand and stepped out of the carriage. She was dressed in a beautiful pale blue dress that had white jewels in the shapes of violets all along her skirt, she had a simple diamond and pearl tiara nestled in her hair, a pearl necklace, and matching earrings, she was the very definition of beautiful. Nicollette's mother and father followed her out of the carriage, Henri offered his daughter his arm and she accepted. Together the Arquette family entered the first ball of the season. 

As the night went on the Arquette trio were approached by many suitors looking to dance with the eligible young lady, however, the count had refused all of them and had qualms about voicing why. "Lord Berbrooke is an idiot and just a Baron, absolutely not!"