XI

Zara was really nervous about attending college on Monday. Many thoughts were running in her mind. How was she even going to face him? This question had her up almost the entire night. For a girl who loved her sleep more than anything, she sure was having a lot of sleepless nights lately, all thanks to a certain grey eyed handsome man.

Before stepping in the class, she almost turned around to go back to the hostel, but she knew that she couldn't avoid him forever. It was bound to happen, if not today then tomorrow.

So she rubbed her palms on her jeans to get rid of sweat, and went inside the class. She was enveloped in a group hug by her friends as they were meeting after a week. Then they all settled down and a few minutes later, Shayaan showed up.

One look into his eyes, and she knew that he knew. Because his eyes held nervousness as well. He took the attendance and started with the topic of the day, but she could see that he was distracted. Fifty minutes later, when the lecture ended, Zara's leg started to shake in nervousness.

"Chal, let's go." Avni said while picking up her bag.

"You go ahead. I've some work." Zara made an excuse.

Slowly the class got empty except for Shayaan and Zara. Both of them didn't know how to address the elephant in the room.

She cleared her throat to speak, but he cut her.

"This is not the right place to talk. If you don't mind, can we meet somewhere out for coffee?" He decently asked her.

She said yes as she knew he was right.

After Anabia had seen Shayaan and Zara together, she had talked about it to her husband. Since Zubaid really liked the Ibrahim family, he had no objection with it. So they proposed it to Zara's father.

But Shayaan didn't know anything about it until they came back to Delhi. Anabia had told him very casually that they'd liked a girl for him and had sent a rishta already. Shayaan's instant reaction was anger. He got mad at her for sending a rishta to an unknown girl without asking him, but she calmed him down and told him that it was Zara. That left him speechless. He just looked at her with an expression of 'how did you know?' and she replied with a simple, "Maa ko sab pata chal jata hai."

Unlike Zara, Shayaan wasn't confused or afraid. In fact, he was more than ready to make Zara his wife. But the only thing he was nervous about was will Zara agree to it?

To convince her, he had to do his best. So he searched the best cafes in New Delhi where he could take her. After he found a cafe he liked, he texted Zara to ask her if she wanted him to pick her up. Zara responded negatively and told him that she'd meet him directly at the cafe. Their meeting was scheduled at 6 in the evening.

Zara knew how particular Shayaan was about time. So she started getting dressed at 4. It took her quite some time to pick her outfit. After all, it was the first time she was ever going out with a guy. Finally she settled on black jeans and a maroon top, with the help of Anjali. She lit up her outfit with some oxidised silver rings and hoop earrings. She even did some makeup. Anjali asked her where she was going, because generally Zara didn't put that much effort while getting dressed until and unless it was some special occasion, but Zara just brushed it off saying that it is a friend's birthday party.

Even though she left early, the Delhi traffic didn't let her reach on time. It was 6:05 when Zara entered the cafe and found him already there.

"I'm sorry, sir. I was stuck in traffic." She blurted out as soon as she reached the table where Shayaan was seated.

Shayaan chuckled at her innocence. "It's okay, it is not your lecture and neither am I your professor here."

"I know, but I've just gotten into the habit of reaching places early." She took off her sling bag from around her shoulder.

"Yeah, thanks to me you've become more disciplined." He smugged.

Zara didn't reply. The waiter came to ask for their order. While Shayaan was going through the menu, she used that time to check him out. Blue jeans and black shirt; the classic combo.

"I'll have a black coffee with no sugar." He said to the waiter, and made Zara cringe.

He saw her expressions. "What? That was the healthiest option they had."

"It must also be the yuckiest option they have." She muttered under her breath and then gave a fake smile to the waiter. "I'll have a cappuccino with two cubes of sugar."

The waiter noted it down and went away.

"Two cubes? That is too much sugar intake." He stated.

Zara just stared blankly at him. "Sir, I don't think it is going to work between us if you keep pointing out mistakes in everything I do."

"Miss Ibrahim, it won't work out between us anyway if you keep calling me sir." He retorted back.

"Then what do you want me to call you?" She rested both her arms on the table.

"I have a name, don't I?" He mimicked her actions.

"Well, I've a name as well, but I've never heard you say it. It is always Miss Ibrahim, except for the birthday text you sent me."

A few minutes went by in silence, as they both kept staring at each other.

"Zara," He said her name for the first time with a smile.

She smiled as well. "Shayaan"

"Your order," The waiter interrupted them. They both removed their hands from the table allowing the waiter to keep their caffeine.

While enjoying their drinks, they both talked about a lot of stuff, variating from her cousin's marriage to college placements. But it wasn't until they had their cups empty, he brought up the topic of why they were sitting there.

"Zara, you must know that my parents sent a rishta for you." He started the conversation.

"Are you okay with it? I mean, do you want to marry me?" She asked him.

"Do you want an honest answer?"

She nodded.

"Yes. I want to marry you." He confessed.

"Why?"

"Because you're the only woman with whom I can see myself having a family."

She had no words. He gave her a straight and simple answer and yet left her blushing.

"Now, you tell me. Will you marry me?" It was his turn to ask.

She shyly looked at him. "Only on one condition."

"What?"

"Promise me that you'll never scold me again." She pouted.

Shayaan laughed out loud looking at her adorable face.

"Are you laughing at me?" She asked, offended.

"No, I'm not laughing at you!" He replied, while still trying to control his laughter.

"Yes, you are. You're mean, I won't marry you." She said in a fake hurt voice.

"Arree!" He immediately sobered up. "I promise you that I'll never scold you."

"Pakka?"

He leaned forward. "Meri itni majaal ki main apni biwi ko daant saku?"

Damn him! The amount of beats he makes her heart skip, he'd be the reason for her death one day.

🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸

My heart can't take this much!!! Damn Shayaan ❤

I know you're flushed too, but vote karna mat bhulna..