Midnight Café (I)

Falling for a stranger is like desiring a dim star, it might not be as beautiful as the brightest star but its mystery attracts you anyway.

It was late, very late. Around 2.30 AM.

There's a test tomorrow so I went to a small local café to study. We chose a random café today near our usual spot. I was studying with my friends of course but they all choose to go home at 12 o'clock. I stayed though, it's better than studying at my apartment 'cause the bed would just hypnotize me to sleep. As an engineering student, having such little amount of sleep is normal anyway.

"One cup of cold mochacino please," I said to one of the waitress.

"Right away."

There's no way anyone could stay awake this late at night without at least three glasses of coffee. Or at least that's what I did, reminiscing the two emptied glasses on the table in front of me. My table is a mess. Two books are openly stacked on top of each other, one open laptop that hasn't been turned of since this evening, accompanied by 4 aerodynamics papers while I'm checking my answer in my giant notebook with the ones in my physics book.

(mumbling sounds of physics formulation from my answers)

"God, finally!" said myself through a whisper.

"I'll go restudy some of the concepts then I'll go home."

"One cup of cold mochaccino for the lovely lady studying," said a voice while a cup of chocolatey goodness is being served to my table. "Thank you," I answered.

"What are you studying about?" he asked.

Looking up to the person talking, beautiful pitch-black hair, a clear face, slightly sculpted jaw, white shirt, black jeans, and a black apron, nice sneakers too (I kinda want it), looks like he's around my age. "Not bad," I think to myself, "Some small talk would be a good rest from all that physics and calculus."

"Just some physics,"

"What for?" he asked again.

"For a test tomorrow."

"You're mechanic student?"

"Industrial tech actually. You?" I asked back.

"Industrial engineering management."

"May I sit here?" he asked.

"Sure." Letting him sit on the empty chair in front of me.

"Industrial engineering management, huh? You study at xx?"

"Yeah, you too?"

"Yes. How come I've never seen you around?" "That's rare." I thought to myself.

"Well I've certainly seen you," he said jokingly.

I chuckled.

"Wait, are you that guy who just moved that everyone's talking about?"

"So you've heard of me?" he answered with a question.

"How can I not." I answered simply, "Anyway, what's your name?"

"H/N, and you are?" he asked again.

"Y/N."

"A french name, huh?"

I answered with a smile. Taking the cup of mochaccino he served, "May I?"

"Go ahead."

I take a few sips, emptying a fourth of the cup.

"How is it?" he asked.

"It's amazing. It's different too from the ones before."

"I made it myself," he said. He looks so proud of it.

"Really? That's amazing. What did you do to it?"

"I formulated it myself," he said. He looks so proud of it.

"Really? That's amazing. What did you do to it?"

"That's a secret. You would have to come to me everytime you want it. Although you have to know, I'd only make this for somenone special."

He took me by surprise, almost choking on my drink. "I guess that's understandable," I said, nodding slightly with a smile on my face.

"Isn't the manager going to get mad if you keep talking to the customers?" I said.

"No one would scold you when you're the one running the place," he answered.

I laughed, "I suppose that's true." Taking another sip from my mochaccino and putting it back to the table, "You sure are full of surprises."

He just smiled, staring.

He has a nice smile.

Our eyes meet, staring at each other. His deep brown eyes seemed more beautiful.

Silence came between us. I could almost here the crickets rustling.

He looked away shyly, letting out a small cough.

"Oh, shit." I thought to myself when I realized it. I instinctively look away, he did the same.

"So, um... I'm going to let you continue studying. It was nice talking to you." He said, standing up.

"Oh, yeah. Nice talking to you too. Thank you for the mocha, H/N."

"Any time... Y/N." he said, still standing in his place.

We smiled at each other.

"So... yeah, I'm going to let you continue studying." he chuckled a little.

"Oh, yes, sure, of course. See you, then." I said, followed by a light laugh.

"Yeah, um... See you. It was nice meeting you." He waved away to the counter. I waved back.

"I hope I'll meet him again."