Chapter 3: Outsmarted

What was Arzil proposing? That they hunt Draven down? Excitement and fear jolted through Selene at the thought. She'd dreamed of doing just that for quite some time. She let her gaze wander the cluttered shelves of Arzil's study, trying to conceal her eagerness with nonchalance.

"And what would you have me do?" Selene asked.

"I would have you track him down and kill him—before the King arrives."

Just as she'd hoped.

Arzil picked up the infant shoe he'd been using as a paperweight and tossed it from hand to hand. "We can't have Draven meddling in our plans as he did last time."

"Where did you find this information on Draven? Do you have any leads?"

"This information came from one of our spies in the Taijese palace. Draven revealed himself to foil the capture of a noble residing in the Taijese palace." Arzil set the shoe down, ripped a corner off a piece of paper, wrote on it, and handed it to her. "Ask for a man who goes by this name. Say that you're his sister. And inquire about Draven's appearance. No doubt he's changed it in order to disguise himself."

She took the paper from him and read it: Gushvin Gacheru. "I will."

"Report back on your findings within two days' time. Meet me here again."

"Why not at the base, Master?"

"With people about looking for the Scorpio, it's best that I not be seen making mysterious excursions to an abandoned house."

"With all due respect, Master, if we fear being caught, wouldn't it be best that I not make mysterious excursions to a brothel?"

"Anyone watching would assume that you're here to meet a lover. Or perhaps to hire a brothel worker for the night. Or even to make some coin yourself."

Selene buried a cringe. After seeing what Cori went through, she'd never participate in brothels—neither the giving nor receiving of favors.

"That is all, Selene. You're dismissed."

Selene bowed and left the way she'd entered. As she passed through the sick room, Cori placed a hand on her shoulder, stopping her.

"I don't like that glint in your eyes... Raven."

Selene stiffened at her touch until Cori lifted her hand. "It's nothing to concern yourself with."

Cori toyed with the chain of her necklace, rolling it between her fingers. Though she'd worn it as long as Selene could remember, Selene had never seen the necklace's pendant. Cori always kept it tucked into her bodice. "I just worry about you. And I've missed your visits here."

"Arzil's been keeping me busy."

"And that's why I worry." Cori smiled softly. "You truly are a kind person, Raven. I fear what this line of work will do to you."

Cori was one to talk. Selene bit down on her lip before the answer could escape. There was no need to be harsh with the one person—aside from Lyra—who truly cared for her. "Thank you. I appreciate the concern."

Perhaps if she told Cori that she was plotting to leave the Scorpio, it would ease her concerns. But then Selene's attention drifted to the walls. Knowing Arzil, he would have a way to eavesdrop on every room, whether that was a discreet peephole or a passage near a grate. It was best that she kept her secrets to herself.

"I know it won't change anything, but thank you for listening," Cori said, her ocean blue eyes darkening.

"Of course. Now, the night grows late, and I'd best leave." She should probably visit the Taijese palace tonight, while she was out.