Chapter 5: A Prostitute in Disguise

Arzil's question made her heart go into a nervous flutter, her palms dampening at her sides. Did she want to disguise herself as a prostitute? What if she actually had to spend the night with some man to keep up the charade? Bile clambered up her throat, and she thrust it back down.

No, she would find out what she could about the masked man and leave before anyone could request her services.

"Yes, I am suggesting that I disguise myself as a prostitute," Selene said. "Few positions would be more advantageous for collecting information. I would be in the midst of a crowd of drunk men with loose tongues."

"I'm not opposed to the idea, Selene," Arzil said. "But in the past, you've always seemed to hold a certain... disdain for coming into contact with men. As a prostitute, you'd attract a certain type of attention."

"I'm aware, and though it's not ideal, I'm convinced that this is the best way to find more information about Draven." Unlikely. But at least she could abate Cori's fears.

Arzil stared at her, his pale eyes seeming to peel back her outer layers to reveal her soul.

Selene held very still. She knew from experience that he couldn't actually see her true motivations—unless she showed signs of discomfort.

"Very well. I'll summon one of the prostitutes to find you more appropriate attire. But you have to understand that you'll be responsible for your own safety. If I intervene, it will look suspicious."

"I understand, Master. Thank you."

Arzil went to the door and rang a little bell on the doorframe.

Light footsteps skittered over the floorboards, followed by a timid knock. "My lord?" The wooden door muffled the voice.

Arzil opened it to reveal a woman in the hallway. She was short with generous curves that flowed as if drawn by an artist.

"Just for this night, this woman will join your ranks," Arzil said. "Find her a dress and let her take a shift by the bar."

"Yes, my lord." The woman extended a hand to Selene. "Come. We'll have you spruced up and ready for the men in no time." Her smile was genuine, crinkling her eyes until their color was no longer visible.

Selene slipped her hand into the woman's, suppressing a cringe at the brush of her warm skin. The woman led Selene down the hallway, chatting the entire time. It faded into background noise as Selene reviewed her plan.

She would indeed search for information on Draven, but her primary goal was to find out what she could about this cloaked man that had so disturbed Cori. If he refused to talk to her, she would watch him from a distance, perhaps even stalk him. And tomorrow night, she could visit Onden and ask what he knew. Since she was a potential client, he'd likely comply.

The woman led her up a flight of stairs, a red carpet muffling their steps. Candle flames rippled as they walked past, making light and shadow flutter along the walls. Perhaps it was to create a more romantic ambience.

The woman opened a door, gesturing for Selene to enter first. The room was filled with racks of red dresses, vanities sandwiched in between them. A few of the women were swiping color onto their eyelids or lips in front of the mirrors.

The woman scanned Selene's figure before she plucked a dress from the rack. "This one should fit you just fine."

The maroon dress had a broad V-shaped neckline that exposed an indecent amount of cleavage. Black lace stretched across the neckline, creating the illusion of modesty. There were no sleeves, and the slit up the side of the dress would expose her leg well above the knee. The whole dress appeared a few sizes too small, and she feared it would be tight enough to squeeze the air from her lungs.