A regular Wednesday Morning

The sun crept into my blinds at around 6:00 a.m., shining it's rays onto my dazed face. I felt like I hadn't slept even an hour. I kept myself so preoccupied with my school work that my sleep schedule became a joke at best. Rolling myself out of bed I noticed that my ceiling fan wasn't on. "Peculiar", I thought aloud. I never slept without that thing on, it definitely had miles on it. I walked to my bathroom and flipped the switch, nothing. Powers out I guess, spectacular. I brushed my teeth in the dark and headed downstairs to notice, no one was home. Usually around this time my mother would be finishing her cup of coffee and heading off to work. Her being a police officer it was hard to ever get time with her so mornings were our go to. I grabbed my phone to text her and noticed fourteen messages from her. "Don't go outside, there's been some kind of incident. Please stay home and lock the door. I will be home soon." Jesus Christ, what happened while I was asleep.

After an hour of two of trying to find something on social media or just trying to get in contact with my friends, the power cut back on. The smoke alarms cut on and I hurriedly cut them off. I quickly cut on the TV to the news. A nervous looking anchor stared down at his news sheet and looked back up at the camera like he'd seen a ghost. "Welcome back to Channel 5 everyone, in recent news: the explosion that caused the sweeping power outage is now under control. The bright purple flames erupted from under Main Street this morning around 3:00 a.m. and burned until just a few moments ago. Authorities have yet to find the cause but are surely looking for answers in this odd explosion. In other news"- I quickly stopped paying attention after that, a purple explosion? That sounds wicked, I texted my friend Ty immediately.

B -Hey did you see the news?
T- Holy shit yes, are we gonna go snoop?
B- Mom is out on patrol, you think we'll get caught?
T- Fuck no! You forget how sneaky I am. :)
B- Come pick me up?
T- Bet, see you in 5.

I shoved my phone into my coat pocket and walked out onto my front porch. The wind stung as it blew onto my face, the cold December air was nothing less than chilling today. I stared out into the woods surrounding my house and saw the smoke over the tree tops. That's gotta be over by Main Street. I jammed my hands into my pants pockets to give myself at least a bit of warmth as Ty pulled into the driveway. The bass beat from the small silver car as the window rolled down. Her dark hair was stuffed under her favorite ball cap and a big toothy grin showed, "Hurry up freshman, we gots shit to figure out.", she hollered out the car window. I ran and hopped in the passenger seat, "Long time no see Blakey boy, how's your winter break going?", she asked turning the music down. "Not too bad, only been home two days now. I still don't have any presents picked out for anyone yet. What do you think you want?", I asked. "Well how bout- Oh how about a million bucks?" ,She asked with a laugh. We both laughed for a moment as we neared our destination. All roads leading to main were blocked off and officers stood at the road blocks. We were maybe a block away. "Fuck. Okay let's go park at Mayhew's and we can walk to the crime scene.", she said with a devilish look in her eyes. Her illegal shenanigans were usually too much for me but it was nice getting back into our old ways, I missed our friendship. We hopped out of her car at Mayhews's electronic shop. Mr. Mayhew looked frantic as he paced in his shop around what looked like completely fried TVs and old DVD players. "Fuck that!", Ty said with a bit of sarcasm in her voice. We snuck through the alley ways until we got about 20 yards from what looked like a giant hole in the street. The police line was the only think holding back reporters and halfway bloggers at both ends of the road. We took that opportunity to get closer to the giant hole. The asphalt was cracked wide open spots of purple rocks that smoked upwards. Ty curiously inched closer as parts of the road seemed to shift under her weight. "Be careful you dope.", I nervously spoke. Hell, I don't know what this even was or if it was dangerous to be around. Ty grabbed a piece of rubble and dropped it down into the hole. "Hey what the fuck!", I almost yelled trying to whisper. It tapped the sides and finally hit the bottom with a small thud. "Huh, nothing-", she was cut off by a large bird flying out of the hole. It flew straight into the air and screeched loudly before a giant flash erupted from what seemed all angles.

I must've passed out, Ty was dragging me to the car. "Blake please wake up something is happening again." My eyes were sensitive to light and my ears were ringing with a strange hum. "Do you hear that too?", I asked, barely hearing myself speak. "Yes but we have to go I'm freaking out." I snapped out of it and stood to my feet and we made it back to the car. She drove fast back to my house and we skidded to a halt as she hit the brakes in my driveway. "Shit your moms home. What do we say?", her face was full of worry and fear. Just say we went for coffee on the other side of town." I told her calmly, trying to calm her down. Just as we were walking into my house, my mom burst out from the front door in her uniform. "Just where the fuck have you been?"