Life, and death

Ty and I sat at the counter for another thirty minutes before Eleanor came back out to us. The two goons she had with her escorted us back to the room. Before we went inside, she stopped us. My heart sunk in my chest because I knew what she was going to say. "We tried everything, my doctor did all he could. She didn't make it, she died from her wounds. Ty shook her head as tears started to fall. A cold feeling swept over me as the news hit. Three of our friends were dead, we barely knew them but they didn't deserve to die. It felt like her words steadily got softer as the sounds of the world got louder. She consoled Ty and filled her in with everything we needed to know. It felt like the music got louder the more I stood there. I guess I was subconsciously tuning everything out. My mind ran somewhere else, back to the cabin. Where we were all just laughing and joking around a couple of hours ago. What were we supposed to tell Elizabeth, or the rest of the group. I snapped out it when Ty grabbed my hand, interlocking her fingers with mine. She pulled me straight out the building, hell I had to run to keep up. "What?" I asked obliviously. "We gotta get back, Eleanor just gave me a big piece of news."

I drove the van back to the campgrounds, the seats all empty. Ty was asleep in the passenger, she looked like shit. Her clothes were torn from the fight and from her powers. Her shirt hung in tatters on her shoulders. I pulled my coat off my back and put it on her like a blanket. She grumbled softly and turned to face the window, her breath fogged up the glass. When we arrived everyone was asleep, it was around 4:45 a.m.. I was terrified to speak to Elizabeth, I knew it would kill her to hear about her husband. Not to mention the group when they hear two of their new friends just died violently. Before I got to the gate ,a flashlight was in my face and a gun behind it. "Blake?" I heard Elizabeth's voice. She lowered the pistol and looked in the van, checking the back. "Brian where-" before she could figure it out, Ty spoke up. "We're it. Something got fucked. I'm gonna find out why." The determination in her voice was deadly. Elizabeth shed a single tear before she opened up the gate. She stumbled back to her little cabin and slammed the door. We tip toed into our own cabin, not trying to wake the other four people inside. The lights cut on and standing by the switch was Sarah. "Where's the other two, they run off?" She asked coldly. Ty glared, I could see her anger boil. "They're dead." She said gritting her teeth. Sarah covered her mouth, and walked over to Ty. She wrapped Ty in a hug, I saw her stop dead in her tracks. Ty stood there for a moment, before hugging her back. Ty's grip on Sarah's t shirt tightened as she started to cry. She fell to her knees pulling Sarah down with her. I walked over to my bed, I was exhausted. I drifted to sleep as the others woke up. I could hear the soft chatter over my shoulder as I pulled the covers up.

I woke up around noon, to people moving shit around. I rolled over to see what the commotion was, it looked like they were clearing out Revy and Bennet's stuff. Ty was walking around with their stuff and placing it in a pile. The looks on everyone's faces was grim. Elizabeth opened up the door and everyone stopped in their tracks. She spoke softly, "I need everyone outside. I have information for you, and you might want to get your things together." When she walked out everyone looks somewhat relieved and shook up at the same time. As we gathered outside, the embers from the night before smoldered. She stood with her hands on her hips, and her eyes were puffy from I assume crying. "There's some new 'unit' out there and I want all of you to stay safe. They call themselves Wolves, some of them are users and some aren't. From what happened out there to your friends and- and my husband. You all should know they are not fucking around. That team that went out was meant to get information on them and well, you did. Make sure what you know now was worth it, For me." She wiped her tired eyes, "You all should get going, make some kind of - group or army or whatever you wanna call it. It's not safe here anymore, the worlds about to change for the worse I think. So go on now, get going. The vans full on gas and there's money in the glove box." She waved her hands towards it. Everyone looked scared, but all the same we did what she said. Jared and James hopped in the back and put everyone's backpacks and bags with them. Sarah, Lilly and Ty hopped in where they could. I jumped in the drivers seat, and started up the engine. Elizabeth stuck her head into the window and said one last remark before we took off to anywhere but here, "You should try Fontaine, it's about twenty miles out of New Phoenix. It's not much, but hey, it's out of the open. Be safe kid." Her usual soft voice was stern, and cold. She patted the side of the van and I was off. My new life had to start somewhere else, all over again.