Chapter 3

Barry's perspective

I was working in my lab when Iris came in and asked "Okay, I am ready to see this atom smasher smashing."

I look up and tell her that "there was a shooting today." I tell her going to put a vial into the machine.

"Your dad needs me to process some evidence, which means I don't know if we're going to be able to make it to S.T.A.R. Labs." 

She looked at me and said "but seeing this thing turn on is like your dream. You're sad, little nerdy dream. Besides, I canceled a date for this." She says grabbing a fry.

"Hands off my fries." I tell her she reminds me of Emily when she would take a couple fries from Ethan. "Unbelievable." I say with a sigh.

"I'm stress eating over my dissertation. We started selling cronuts at Jitters. I ate two today. If I don't graduate soon, I'm gonna be more muffin top than woman," she says with a sigh.

"You look amazing." I told her after all it was the truth, the compliment made her smile.

"What is so important about this particle accelerator anyway?" She asks.

"Harrison Wells' work in quantum theory is light-years ahead of anything they're doing at cern." I tell her and she gives me a look just like Emily when Ethan tries to explain Science to her. Those two would get along well.

"You're doing that thing where you're not speaking english," she says confused "Okay." I say with a sigh. I walk over to the white board I keep in my lab and grab a marker.

"Just imagine, that this dot is everything the human race has ever learned until this moment." I tell her while drawing a blue dot.

"Does that include 'twerking'?" She asks and now I know Emily and Iris would be best friends in a matter of minutes. 

"That is everything we could learn from the particle accelerator. It's a whole new way of looking at physics. It will literally change the way That we think about everything." I tell her, drawing a huge circle around the dot I drew before.

"You got to get yourself a girlfriend." She tells me, "hey, leave him alone. He's working," Joe says.

"Hi, dad. Your test thingy is done." She tells me going to hug her dad "Yeah." I reply, going to check the results.

"I think the Mardon brothers are hiding on a farm. The fecal matter I found on the street, it was cow manure, which contained traces of oxytetracycline. It's an antibiotic. There are only four farms in the area That still use it in their feed. Bet you find a really sweet Shelby parked at one of them." I tell Joe my idea, him a list with addresses to all the farms.

"Dad, seeing as how Barry solved your poop problem, how about letting him go to S.T.A.R. Labs?" Iris asks her dad.

"Fine, go." Joe says walking out of the lab with the sheet of paper I gave him. "Yes!" I say excitedly.

"Thank you, Joe." I call out to him as he walks out of my lab.

"Hey Iris, I'll meet you downstairs, let me quickly grab my jacket." I tell her while going to get my jacket but grabbing my phone out of my pocket instead.

~Text~
     Barry- bold      twins- underlined

Hey, I'll be home a little late, Joe's letting me go see the particle accelerator turn on.

Will you be back in time for dessert? you promised

Of course, I promised after all.

Were you late to work today?

Yes, why?