04 : 𝖩𝖾𝖺𝗅𝗈𝗎𝗌𝗒, 𝖩𝖾𝖺𝗅𝗈𝗎𝗌𝗒

[🌙]

[Y/N's POV]

I paced through the corridors, ending up in the throneroom. Early in the morning it was, and there's so much to tend already. Lady Jungyeon followed me around with a length of scroll she kept in her hands. As I sat on my throne, she chanted chores for me to be reminded.

"In line with Lord Dantae and Lady Maeji's visit, you and His Majesty are ought to discuss the matter of Chulsan's produce."

"Chulsan?" I arched a brow. "I thought we've already solved the problem about their livestock?"

"No, Your Majesty. The governor pitched last week. The growth is unsteady. Feeds for the poultry are running out due to the drought."

"It's fine." I nodded. "I shall write a letter to our allied kingdom for help. What else?"

"Hmm," Lady Jungyeon scanned the roll. "Ah, you're bound to meet with the Head General next week, Your Grace. Your attendance into blessing the new border is needed."

"Yes, I know that. Continue."

"Letters have arrived from overseas too. I have instructed a servant to deliver them into your room for review. One came from Heoddok yesterday. I believe it was all about the infamous treaty."

I held my head straight. It has been pounding for the past few hours, but I had to keep focus. My eyes drooped down due to sleepiness. My breathing hitched. I felt drowsy. I must stay awake.

I have been treating work as a therapy— rather escape, for days. It was the only way for me to clamber out of the void my infertility had tossed me in. As much as I would love to rest, give myself a well-deserved leisure, I couldn't. For every second I spare, the dread seeps back in. It haunts me.

I internally sighed.

"Your Majesty?"

My body jolted. "Yes?"

"I was asking whether you'd like to inspect the new weapons for the knights tomorrow or should you leave it for the Emperor to do instead."

"Let him run that duty." I dully traced my brows. "I'm sure he doesn't mind."

Lady Jungyeon stared at me. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Lady Jungyeon. Don't mind my actions."

"No, Your Grace. Your discomfort is reeking and I'm worried. Is there anything I could do for you? Perhaps call His Majesty?"

"I don't even know where he is."

"He must be near. His parents are yet to arrive in any moment. He wouldn't want to miss it."

Creek!

"..and you are sought to bless the new batch of Jeongdu's army next month."

Lady Hyunseul's voice echoed. We both turned to see her and my husband walk in. She was mouthing a few activities to Soobin while he listened attentively. I gulped.

They've been very close these days. I would often see them together everywhere I go. They were like twins, bestfriends, lovers. Highly inseparable. Ever since that night, Soobin had grown more accustomed to Lady Hyunseul's presence. Our deteriorating connection faltered even worse, now that he, too, was slowly leaning away.