Chapter: 10

Alex's POV:

"Emma?" I said just when Emma turned to leave. I pocketed the necklace and looked down at my feet, biting my lip. "About the other night, I-"

"You don't have to say anything, Alex," she cut me off and then sighed. I looked up at her expectantly. "I've thought about it and I understand why you hid it from us. You were probably scared of how we'd react and the way I walked out of the room that night, I guess I didn't help."

I released a breath and some of the weight on my chest left with it. I felt lighter and the feeling was welcome with all that was going on. "I'm still sorry."

"I know," she said. "I always thought I could never fully understand you. Like you were a puzzle and there would always be one piece missing and I'd never be able to find it."

"I guess you found it."

She smiled and it wasn't a sad or tired smile she'd been giving me lately. It was genuine. "I just... I want you to know that you can trust me. I mean, I understand why you wouldn't wanna tell Dad or Troy but..." she trailed off and I nodded.

"Speaking of," I suddenly said, looking at her. "Did Dad or Troy come into the room that night while I was... you know."

"Screaming the hell out of yourself?" she offered with an amused expression. I pursed my lips and nodded. "Troy almost came in but I had it covered."

"Thanks," I muttered. Emma looked at me for a moment before reaching out and pulling me in a hug. I stood frozen, my eyes wide, as I wondered just how she would want to hug me after knowing what I was capable of. She knew what was inside me and she wasn't afraid to be in such a closed capacity with me.

After a minute, I relaxed in her embrace and hugged her back, feeling even lighter. I buried my face in her shoulder. The sharp scent of her perfume stung my nostrils but I didn't pull away. I needed this.

"You should go check on River," Emma said as she drew back. "I need to finish packing." I nodded and walked back into the room River was in while Emma headed upstairs.

River had already showered and put on clean clothes - a light blue shirt and a pair of jeans. Her hair was wet and tangled, nearly reaching her elbows. It seemed more golden after the shower. Her skin wasn't any different though; it was as pale as it was before.

She smiled when she saw me and I walked forward, sitting down at the foot of the bed.

"You still owe me a story," I said and she frowned a little at that but nodded. "I'll get you something to eat and we'll talk over it, okay?" she nodded again and I smiled before getting up and walking toward the kitchen. On the way, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and texted Zoe about River.

When I got to the kitchen, I took a bowl and filled it with the spaghetti Emma made, last night presumably. I grabbed a fork and went back to the room. I handed the bowl to River who was sitting at the foot of the bed now and felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I took it out to see a text from Zoe.

I'm coming over. I need to talk to you anyway.

I texted her back and put my phone back in my pocket. Then, I sighed and looked at River. "So?"

She frowned as she took the first bite although I doubted it was because of the spaghetti. Emma was the best cook I knew - another thing on her never-ending list of qualities. She sighed before saying, "I... my mom died a long time ago. Twelve years, to be more precise."

I raised my eyebrows. "How old are you?"

She looked up at me. "Thirteen." I blinked. It was uncanny how she and Xander were the same age when they lost their mothers. From there on out though, I suspected, their stories might've been completely different, given the condition I found her in.