Chapter: 37

Alex's POV:

Jeremy's mansion in Hawaii was even bigger than the one he lived in, back in Toronto. It stood tall, illuminated by fairy lights. Under the night sky, it looked like a castle, looming over us. In front of the entrance, there was a large pool and the sight of it took me back to the horrible night three years ago when his pool was filled with half-drunk teenagers.

Now though, it was empty, the water glimmering against the moonlight. As the four of us walked toward the steps that led to the main entrance, a woman in her thirties stepped in front of us. She was dressed in an emerald green dress, her blond hair up in a bun so tight, I was surprised she wasn't flinching.

"Invitation, please," she said, her eyes strained on the clipboard in her hands. Cody stepped forward and handed her the invitation. She took it, eyeing him suspiciously, causing him to shrink away from her sight. I couldn't blame him - the woman's gaze held a storm. She unrolled the scroll of paper and then ticked something off her clipboard before stepping aside. "The ballroom is on the left."

I nodded at her and gathered my gown before climbing up the steps, the others following suit. When we entered, we were greeted by a stunning interior, brightly illuminated. Its structure was somewhat similar to Eamon Barre's mansion, but instead of old and worn, it was modern and polished. Two staircases led upstairs, and a large chandelier hung from the ceiling.

Toward the left, I could hear faint music coming out of one of the rooms. I followed the sound, the others at my heel, and the guard standing at the door opened it when we came close.

The ballroom alone was as big as my house. People roamed and danced in tuxes and gowns so beautiful, they made me question my appearance. In every corner, yellow flowers bloomed up from pots. On one side, there was a long table lined with drinks, dishes, and snacks, too luxurious to have been tasted before.

Slow, melodious music was playing for the people who danced. As I ran my gaze around the room, my eyes stopped on an unmistakably familiar blond head. I narrowed my eyes.

"He's over there," I informed the others. "I'll go to talk to him."

Without waiting for a response, I began walking forward, past the bodies of people. I strained my ears to listen to what the other three were saying.

"That's Jeremy Milestone?" Cody said, flabbergasted. I pulled my lips between my teeth to keep myself from smiling. "Why did neither of you bother mentioning that Jeremy looks like that?"

I couldn't blame him for being surprised; Jeremy was hot. With his tall and lean frame, sharp jaw, and angular cheekbones, he probably got more girls than he wanted.

"Well, I, for one, have never seen him before," Zoe reasoned, before saying, "Man, look at his shoulders."

"What's the big deal, anyway?" Elijah asked and I could feel Cody's surprise from where I was.

"You're up for competition, Castillo," Zoe remarked.

"Shut up," Cody said.

I chuckled before tuning them out and turning all my attention toward Jeremy. As I approached him, he looked up, and blinked at me, before muttering something to his friends which caused them to leave him alone.

"There's a face I haven't seen in a while," he said, smiling smugly at me. His blond hair had grown past his ears, but it didn't make him look scruffy - somehow, it only added to his elegance. "I have to say I'm surprised to see you here, Alex Gray."

"That's because you didn't invite me," I said and he raised his eyebrows. "You should really put names on your invitations."

He chuckled, shaking his head. "I'm impressed. So, what brings you here, Gray?"