5

"FUCK!"

This pounding head will be the end of my life if I keep hearing this loud scream. Ouch, nope, not just head. My whole body aches when I try change my position. My eyelids don't want to part just yet. The main reason is because they're swollen. Let alone thinking what that fuss is about.

Until I can't take it no more. I should thank my not so good night sleep for lifting up the uneasiness in my chest. I am way in the mood right now, compared to last night. Enough to make me force my eyes open and jump out of bed.

No, I still have no idea why I cried.

I squint to look for my mask. Let me remind you to never overuse your lacrimal gland before sleep. It doesn't feel nor look good in the morning.

I put on my mask and stagger toward the source of the noise. Well, the usual Alana Carter hasn't fully come to earth just yet, so I reach the walls for support while walking out my room. Guess where the sound comes from. Yes, the bathroom.

Kiara Jacobs, shouting profanities and screaming from inside the bathroom. Well, more like wailing. Another thing I will have in common with her: eye condition.

The cry sounds rather painful, drowning my mood back to where it was last night. I've been knocking until my knuckles are numb, but Kiara still doesn't open the door.

"Kiara!" I call out while throwing my last pound to the door, my voice mixed with panic.

Finally Kiara unlocks the bathroom door and opens it slowly, showing her slumping figure. I was right, she does have the same eye condition as I do. The only difference is that her eyes are red and damp.

"What happened to you?" ask both of us simultaneously, our voices are filled with concern.

My eyes do a quick scan around the room as Kiara goes back to the counter to take her mask and put it on. The thing that sits next to where the mask was doesn't go unnoticed. The girl who is currently being my isolation mate turns my attention back to her.

"Rough night? Did I wake you up?" Asks Kiara followed by a sniffle, her hands wringing together in a rather tense way. Her eyebrows scrunch and her red eyes start watering, again. "Alana, I'm so sorry."

Ignoring Kiara's apology, I shake my head while the cells inside of it are working to connect the dots. I raise my hand as if telling her that I'm alright. Judging by the looks that the mirror is reflecting, I am far more than alright compared to her.

"Kiara..." I utter carefully. I take a glance to the thing on the counter for less than a second before focusing my eyes back to her.

Before I could continue, Kiara has already flunked to the floor, having another breakdown. It's heartbreaking to see her like this, usually she was the cheerful one. Covid-19 does this to a person.

I plop down next to her, hesitantly reaching my arm to hug her side. Screw physical distancing, I'm wrapping my arms around her shaking body. She needs it, I think.

"It's okay to hug each other, right?" I ask, addressing the little hesitation of breaking the physical distancing rule.

Kiara looks up at me, shrugging. "We share the same virus anyway," says Kiara between her sobs before tightening the hug.

I rub her back soothingly until she can get herself composed. Kiara loosens her grip of me. Through her now-wet mask, she says, "I don't know what to do."

"Kiara, are you..." I pause, trying to find the right word. Eyeing the bathroom counter, I open my mouth but Kiara cuts in right away.

"Fuck it!" Shouts Kiara. I jolt back, my eyes widen. Somebody should give me some rewards if I kept counting how many times she said that word since I woke up. Here's the tea: it's the thirty fifth time.