1

"Nobody steals from the Chou brothers!" Little Chou shouted. "Really? Because I just did." Wan jumped onto a railing. 'You're dead, Wan." Big Chou growled. "Actually, I feel quite alive." He let himself fall backwards off the railing. 

The Chou Brothers ran up to the railing. Wan grabbed hold of a clothesline, which broke his fall and swung him back up. Wan hid in an alcove as the Chou Brothers came crashing down screaming, tearing all the clotheslines down with them. Wan landed on them to cushion his fall and ran away. Wan grinned and ran over a bridge, scaring a flock of birds. "Hey stop!" Birds' droppings fell on them causing them to stop. Wan ran on the roofs of houses, jumping and somersaulting until he slowed down to a walk.

He sat down and rummaged through the bag. He pulled out a roll, but just as he was about to take a bite from it, Big Chou landed in front of him with his two brothers behind him. He-he-hey, fellas!" He looked at his roll sadly. "You're just in time for lunch!" Wan threw the roll in Big Chou's face leaving a red mark on his nose and jumped over him, but was tripped by Middle Chou, falling on the ground. "I told you no one steals from us." Big Chou took Wan by the collar and easily lifted him in the air with one hand while glaring at him. Wan nervously laughed at him. 

Wan screamed as they threw him over a wall. He disappeared behind a tree. Wan landed right in a pigsty, rousing the interest of a nearby standing moo-sow. He sat erect, disgustedly wiping the mud out of his face. Disheartedly, he looked to his right where the animal was sniffing at him. "Oh my gosh, are you okay?" A girl he had never seen before stood next to the pigsty. She wore different clothes than the rest of the village women and had a magenta scarf loosely wrapped around her head. Wan immediately fell in love with her. 

He wiped the mud off of him. "I-uh, I'm fine." He stuttered. He could not take his eyes off of her bright blue ones. "Um...hello? Are you okay?" She waved her hand in front of his face. He shook his head and blinked a couple of times, snapping himself out of his trance. "Like I said, I'm fine. I'm Wan, by the way."

"Liena." She shook his hand. "That's a lovely name." He complimented. She blushed. "Thanks." Wan stood there for a moment before clearing his throat. "Do you wanna, maybe come see my place?" She looked around as if trying to remember if she had anything important to do. "Yeah, sure."

Wan led her out of the city and into the forest. "How far is it?" She asked. "We're here." Liena looked around. "There's nothing here." Wan pointed up and she gasped. "A treehouse!" Wan helped her climbed up and into the treehouse. Liena stopped herself from going in and waited. Jaya sighed. "Did you steal from the Chous again?"

"Yeah, and I got to nothing show for it except a few dirty rolls and a whole lot of bruises." He passed some food to his friend and walked to a figure hiding in the shadows. "Hey, Yao, I got some food for you." Yao grabbed the food with his branch-like arm and began eating. "Mm, delicious! Thank you, Wan." 

"And I also brought a visitor." Liena stepped in and waved. Jaya stared at her and then stared at Wan. "H-hi. I'm Jaya." They shared a handshake and Liena walked over to Yao. "Hi." He tried covering himself up but she could see his feet and how they looked more of tree branches. "Did a spirit do this to you?" He sadly nodded. "I would heave never imagined and spirit doing this." She mumbled and examined his body. Jaya and Wan gave each other confused looks.

"Are you from around here?" Liena shook her head. "Why are you asking that?" Jaya looked at her like she was crazy. "Spirits are the most evilest, trouble-making monsters that terrorize helpless humans like us!" 

"No they're not!" She argued. "How can you be so sure?" Wan nudged Jaya to calm down or he would scare her away. "Because I've seen them before! A whole bunch of them, and for weeks I would study them and their way of living! So don't you tell me I don't know anything about spirits!" She yelled and stormed out of the treehouse. Wan glared at his friend and followed her down the tree. "Don't blame him. He's just afraid he'll be a victim of the spirits like Yao." He reasoned. 

"Wan, I appreciate you for covering your friend up, but if there's one thing I know about spirits, it's that they will never harm a defenseless man. It's you all that are oppressing them! Burning forests down with bending, hunting animals that live peacefully. Have you ever tried looking from their point of view?" And with that, she walked back to the Lion Turtle.