» Happier Endings (The Oneshot) «

Hunter AU: Takes place after the defeat of Emperor Belos or something...

I tried to give him He/They pronouns, but please correct me if I misuse them. Also, Hunter redemption arc pog??

(Note: This may be a little out of character, and badly written, so read with caution!)

Hot, steady stream of tears flowed down his flushed cheeks, a smile clearly evident. They reached to wipe the stream with a gloved hand, but ultimately failed as more poured like a late rainy night. They stared at their newfound family with a warm smile that they couldn't stuff down. The shock didn't subside when he decided to bask in the moment, but that didn't matter. He finally had a family, and a proper one at that.

It was finally time for them to leave their past behind. To leave the murky water and walk on his own. To forget about the horrid abuse and flashbacks and panic attacks. No more scars or words that dug into his bruised heart. No more reminders of failures that he himself endured.

And they couldn't be happier. Their heart bloomed at the thought that they found their people. A family that would accept him—even if he made the tiniest mistakes. A family that loved him to an extent.

They took one last look at the thick stack of paper and huffed a laugh.

"Well, kid? Would you like to be an official Clawthorne?"

"And join the Bad Girl Coven?!" The brunette exclaimed in an excited tone, looking from the notepad that laid on the wooden floor boards up at his clouded eyes. She gave him a goofy grin before drawing a glyph on the sheet of note. It glowed when she tapped it, and the sheet crumbled and morphed into a small ball of light. She handed it to him and he held his free hand out.

He took a moment to rethink the events of the past few months. Just after their escape from the castle, the changing of sides, and the defeat of Emperor Belos, he was a soldier. A soldier who was blind with an only goal; please the one that saved him from a life of misery. A soldier who wore garments of gold and an ivory white cloak with a facade of a personality. Their eyes used to hold bags of late night training and scouting and aiding. His smile used to be reserved but undesired. And His heart used to hold heavy histories of guilt. But he was anew—he felt as if he were reborn. He felt happier. He felt stronger. And they felt as if he were finally himself—Hunter. And never again the Golden Guard. Just Hunter Clawtorne.

They sniffled for a second, scanning each and every face. "Of course, yeah," He said as his voice wavered the slightest.

The room erupted in delighted cheering (with an annoying chanting of 'hoot' from the house demon), everyone piling in a group hug.

"Welcome to the family. Now bow before me," Said King with a semi-serious tone once everyone parted. He cracked a smile, his cheeks still stained with dried tears.

"Okay, your highness," And they did so, bowing before their presumed shorter brother. Then they shared playful glances, going their separate ways.

He stood there, watching as Eda bragged to her floating scroll, most likely calling her sister, Lilith. And then the house demon, Hooty, raced from his spot at the open door once he heard the name Lilith was mentioned.

Then his eyes trailed to the stack of papers, which were now signed, and his heart fluttered.

"So how are you feeling, newly adopted older brother of mine?" Said a voice to his side. He crossed his arms with a small smile, not needing to meet the eyes of the voice to know who's there.

"I don't know. It feels new, I guess. I'm sorta new to this whole 'family' ordeal." They looked at her with gleaming eyes. "But I have a feeling you'll lead me through it. All of you will."