Chapter 8

Henrik's POV

You know, being alive again isn't so bad. With the whole family back together, having found their soulmates, and very wonderfully spawning me nieces and nephews, I'm feeling spectacular.

Now I have to find whatever the broken dice with two horns shaped like antlers. Astrid's request, she says it helped induce witches in the Quarter during the time she spent there. I've chosen to take her word for it.

"Watcha doing down here, Henrik?" It was Jeremy. I quickly turned around to face him, waving at him to come down to where I was rummaging the drawers for anything that could resemble the image Astrid placed in my mind of the magic baby evictor.

Pure cherry wood outlined with silver created a box at the center of the first drawer I opened. Carefully, I dusted it off, revealing a medieval looking square which had bone plastered on its side. Even as a vampire, I could feel the magic singing to me. A pretty siren's call now in my hands. I had made sure to wear gloves, just in case the object decided to siphon from me.

"Seems haunted," Jeremy noted. "What's it for?"

"Helping trigger a labor for my sister. She's almost three weeks late, and she could be in danger if the twins get too big for her to bear giving birth," I explained.

"So they're still growing inside of her?" I nodded. "Jesus, that's awful."

"Quite, which is why we need this. The witches of the Quarter let us borrow it, since Striddy agreed to allow them to practice magic after Marcel is taken off his pious throne."

Jeremy smiled and took my free hand. "That's nice of them for finally realizing that we're not as against them as Marcel is." He stops for a second and looks down at the ground. "We have three weeks until Marcel told us he wants us out of NOLA. Three weeks to tell Astrid that he's not standing down and that we need to fight. What the hell are we going to do?"

Right, because my stupid 'nephew' had decided that he'd rather go down into the ground rather than be a man and sort things out with his family. After watching him for years, I can't say that I'm surprised, he's always been like this, even when he was with Nik and Astrid. He'd choose himself over anyone in this family at this rate, which would be dangerous if he planned to join us.

Astrid isn't ready to hear about that and with everything else on her plate, I won't be the one to tell her.

"Nik will do it when she's ready and not on the verge of giving birth," I said as I let out a deep breath. "I just don't want this to break her heart. She had to lose him once already... I don't think she could lose her kid again. I can't imagine what that would feel like. I can't push that idea on her."

"I know, I know." Jeremy brings me up to the basement's staircase and sighs. "But you know, no matter what, we still have each other, right? He can't take that away from us."

A small smile graced my lips and I nodded. "As my older brothers and sisters say, always and forever. You're not getting rid of me, not now and not ever." I tightened my grip on his hand and let out a tiny laugh. "Nobody is taking you away from me. I won't let them. I don't care how many hearts I have to tear out, you're mine."

Jeremy turns away again and giggles. "Okay Mr. Possessive, I'm all yours," he snarks before turning serious again. "Not to ruin the absolutely perfect moment here, but when do you plan on turning me. I'm only getting older here, and I don't know any magic to protect myself right now. And you know that Marcel will go after me-"

"He will not hurt you, do you understand me?" I cut him off to snap. "Jer, you're not going to die because of him. He is not going to take you away from me. I won't let it happen, nobody here will let it happen. Just... give it some time."

"Why? Why give it time? You say I'm yours, you say that you won't let anything happen to me, but why can't I be given the ability to protect myself? Why isn't that an option to me like it was going to be for you before Mikael came along? This would be my choice. You won't be forcing it on me."

I didn't want to be talking about this right now. I didn't want to think about the unknown of turning my best friend into a vampire. Because the reason why I wouldn't hurt more than I cared to admit. It's selfish and he doesn't deserve that at all. Not after all of his kindness, his warmth, everything we have... I don't want this to be over.

"I need to give this to my sister, Jeremy." I let go of his hand, feeling tears well up in my eyes as I try to make a step towards the stairs. I feel awful for leaving him here like this. He deserves better. "I'll see you at dinner."

"No, no." He reaches out and manages to grab my wrist. A single tear falls down to my chin and I turn my head, hoping he didn't see. He did. "Why are you crying, Henrik? Look, I'm sorry, okay. I won't bring it up again. Please don't cry. God, I hate it when you cry."

I wish I could have stopped, but as soon as the first tear felt, I was done for. Dozens came after, and I found myself sobbing in front of the basement's stair case like an idiot while Jeremy watches me fall apart. 

"I'm fine," I choked out the lie and I felt the lump in my throat grow heavier. "It's fine, I'm fine."

Before I could stumble and fall down to my knees, Jeremy wraps his arms around me and pulls me into his chest, letting me cry.

"I'm going to lose you." The admission hurt more than I thought it would. More than my heart getting ripped out of my chest. It's akin to someone stealing my soul with piping hot pincers. "Jer, if I turn you, I'm going to lose you forever."

There was silence for a moment as disgusting sounding sobs came out of me. I hated this so much; the unknown of all of this. I'd either lose Jeremy to time and mortality or I'd lose him to immortality and the mate bond. I wish I could just know beforehand whether or not to be heartbroken or overjoyed.

"You're never going to lose me, Henry," he whispered, "I'm always going to be here with you. Whenever you want me or need me. Just say it and I'm here, doing whatever you want."

"You'll do whatever I want?" I asked wearily.

"Don't make me do anything stupid like run around naked or something. I couldn't say no to you." I had to laugh at that. He could always get a laugh out of me even when I want to have a mental breakdown. "Tell me what you want from me, Henrik."

Leaving his arms for a moment, I looked up into his eyes and said as calmly as I could, "Please don't hate me for this, for what I ask. You don't have to do it..."

"Anything means anything, Henry. Anything you could ever want from me."

My lip quivered and I put a single hand on Jeremy's cheek.

"Kiss me," I begged. I could see his eyes go wide for a moment and I began to shake. "If you'll do anything, just kiss me. Please. Gods, it's all that I've ever wanted."

A warm hand moved my chin up and I gasped as Jeremy brought his lips to mine.

---

IT FINALLY HAPPENED OH MY GOD IT HAPPENED YESSSSSSSS. #JENRIK FOREVER!!!

We needed this I needed this. I have a head injury I should not have written this so GOODBYE.

REMINDER: if you comment anything about "please update" or "update" or "update please" or literally anything like that, the update gets pushed further and further back. You're ruining it for everyone and me.