Prologue

The grey night sky of Tokyo weeps raindrops that tap softly against my umbrella. The darkness of the moon mourns and clouds blanket the shine of stars. My boots splash against the pavement, filling quickly with rainwater. A presence draws my eyes away from the city's skyline before me, of the towering skyscrapers and buildings, towards my right where a rotting building sits among others in pristine condition.

    The sign above the building reads 'Daycare', however the letters are mottled and grey. The building has aged, seen years that many have not, and now holds what those who have aged wish to never see.

    A semi- grade one curse awaits, it's aura hisses amongst the pedestrians that linger along the pavement. The crowds chatter amongst themselves, as they proceed their commute to their homes. Their faces blur past me, only slivers of color and humanly silhouettes remain. I see a woman with short blonde hair, her phone pressed to her ear as she walks. I see a man with long, dark hair, his fingers holding an umbrella. I see two children, wearing bright yellow coats and boots who splash about in the rain. Humans are innocent, yet it is the darkness of their souls that I must face.

    Curses, embodiments of negativity made flesh. They wander the world and wreak disaster towards the frail souls of humanity. Their weak bodies were not blessed by the heavens, their hands not able to unleash power to defend themselves. Even their eyes are unable to bear witness to the faults that they have manifested. As curses plague their lives, they remain afraid, unable to fight the predicament they are chained upon.

    The few jujutsu sorcerers in the world that are able to protect the innocents do not execute their meanings with justice. Their corrupt minds fear not for the lives of others, but for their own. In their eyes, the repelling of the curse bears more meaning than the preservation of innocents. The judge of said innocence is none other than the bloodied hands of the jujutsu sorcerers whom hold the rusted scale that weighs corruption.

    I am no better than them. My hands weave an infinite void of power between my fingertips, and my eyes see the curses that hover amongst the shadows. I am a jujutsu sorcerer, a figure of unjust beliefs and convictions. However I was not raised alongside them.

    Outcasted from my own, the (l/n) family was forced to split their bonds from the jujutsu world. Their eyes were blinded with prejudice, despite claiming to seek justice in the world. Since then, we have been raised to protect; to enforce the morals of humanity and bear the weight of their sins upon our shoulders. Only then would we be able to slaughter curses, and live in a harmony. Those who do not understand defense are no better than murderers.

    Eyes cast towards the front entry, I take a cautious step through the open door. The walls of the daycare are painted in fading colors, vibrant designs that once flourished now wilt along the corridor. My nose wrinkles at the stench of the building, and I wonder whether the daycare is still in service. Here, I set the barrier.

    "Emerge from the darkness, blacker than darkness. Purify that which is impure." A simple curtain, used commonly among jujutsu sorcerers in order to create a barrier from non- sorcerers and the area of affect. This technique also reveals all curses inside the barrier.

    My fingers release the metal handle of my umbrella, and discard it beside me. Though the rain continues to persist, the daycare is rather warm, with a strangely choking humidity. Unzipping my grey raincoat, I shrug the thin material off my shoulders and place it beside my umbrella, where it is sure to collect layered dust that coats the tiled floor.    

Continuing through the hallway, I peer into the rooms that line the entry. There are bathrooms, classrooms, and a cafeteria. The walls lead me towards a staircase that spirals to the second floor, where the building ends, and opens into a balcony.