VI. Protect

POV: GOJO SATORU

We stand inside a gated cemetery gated by ornate black fences that curl around withered trees. It has been long abandoned, the tombstones cracked and grey. Flowers were set out for the corpses buried beneath the hard ground, but all the color has melted away, leaving nothing but petals and thorny stems.

One week. It has been one week since Yaga burst into my dormitory and told me that I was to be sent on retrieval missions for twenty special grade objects. We were given one week to rest from our injuries and prepare for our first task, one set in a graveyard.

I lift my eyes up to the entrance of the cemetery, and say, "Emerge from the darkness, blacker than darkness. Purify that which is impure." As the words and energy flow from my body, the curtain opens itself around the edges of the graveyard. I turn to (y/n) and motion for her to lead the way.

She strides through the curtain, not a single doubt in her mind. I only catch a glimpse of her gaze, but her eyes are unreadable, maybe from the dark, but I do not think that is so.

In silence, we make our way towards the huddle of curses that pile over each other in the center of the graveyard. Faded names carved into tombstones line our path as we carefully step over rocks and graves.

Because people often die with regrets and bitterness, their negative emotions live on in their stead as curses on the earth. Graveyards are usually a common place for curses to spawn, as the objectification of sorrow and anger. Many of them, grade fours, are relatively harmless and easily defeated. As we make our way towards the center of the cemetery, (y/n) and I exorcise these curses with a simple snap of our fingers.

But the closer we waded through the tombs and dirt, the stronger the curses became, and the higher in number as well. Any curse leveled below a special grade are easily defeated, until we reach the pair of first grade curses. Between them is a kneeling special grade, shrieking before a tombstone. Its head is turned away from us, and down to the ground.

The two first grades lunge at us in attack. One of them, colored a midnight blue, shifts between phases of matter. It's body begins to melt into a state of liquid that spreads to land on me. But, Limitless is already activated and not a single particle passes through the barrier between myself and the earth. It furiously screams upon realizing that it is trapped.

Without the need of utilizing a cursed technique for its exorcism, I simply stretch out my arm, and it is blasted to cinders, disintegrating completely in the air before it ever meets the ground.

Just as I turn to (y/n), hopeful to see her cursed technique in action, the first grade curse that had targeted her disappears, swallowed by a hole in space. She does not meet my eyes, and continues walking towards the kneeling special grade curse.

During the week that Yaga had left me to prepare, I was able to find information regarding the banishment of the (l/n) family. Fifty years ago, they had been an a sorcerer clan of great prestige, prominent figures that were associated in the Big Three Sorcerer Families. After their betrayal, they were promptly replaced with the Kamo family, who had sinister ties to Noritoshi Kamo.

Supposedly, they had hoped to revolutionize jujutsu sorcerers, hoping to protect humanity before all else. This information adds up with (y/n)'s words she'd spoken of in the prison, words that echoed as Geto's. 'Non- sorcerers are lesser humans', a statement I thought true, but within the last few days the words have left a bitter taste on my lips. Perhaps protecting non- sorcerers will someday be my duty, but with the world a barren and desolate place, I do not think it ever will.

Details of the (l/n) mutiny were efficiently covered, but records described an evil bloodline, connected to a man of great power that was disapproved of by the majority of jujutsu sorcerers. Not to mention the rare inherited technique that grants the user the ability to manipulate fire. But throughout my research of other inherited techniques were fruitless and did not provide any information about (y/n)'s ability to oppose mine. 'Eternal Abyss' she'd called her domain, but that was not enough to grant me a conclusion.

(y/n) approaches the special grade that does not stir nor rise from its position. It continues to weep, even as (y/n) stands inches away. I begin to doubt it's grading as it does not recognize the cursed energy aura that glows from her.

Her face does not betray an inch of emotion as she sits down beside the curse. My mouth opens, if barely, appalled by her actions. She does not look at the curse, merely the name written on the tombstone. From ten feet away, I can also read the faint words. The name of a man and the date of his death, shadowed by the vibrant flowers that sit on the edge of his memorial.

(y/n) bows her head silently, in prayer perhaps, but sorcerers do not pray. Praying is an action for humans.

When she begins to rise, she turns to the curse and says, "You may go." As the last word leaves her lips, her cursed technique swallows it whole, but the curse does not rise to strike. It sits calmly, its head raised to meet hers, and exists no more.

(y/n) turns to face me, her hair lifting with the slight breeze, and the cursed object wrapped between her fingers. I know then that we are not the same, and we never will be. But her power is equal to my own.

And I am no longer alone as the strongest.

Author's note: Thank you for reading this chapter! If you enjoyed it, please remember to vote and comment :))
~A