Chapter 27

"Ahem," someone interrupted. Sophie flushed and stood up, offering a hand to Keefe. She turned around to find that it was surprisingly Grady. 

"Sorry," Sophie apologized. 

Biana intervened. "That's pretty much all I had planned, so I guess the party's over. Time to clean up." Everyone agreed, and they started picking up assorted confetti's, streamers, and other party decorations. Sophie picked up the wrapping paper as well as tissue paper from the gifts, and Edaline conjured them away to who knows where.

It took a while to clean up, but once they were done the house had returned to its former state. Most of her friends left soon after that, and Sophie's mood deflated. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" Biana asked.

"What are you talking about?" Sophie questioned, forcing a smile.

"Sophie, come on. Tell me. I know something's bothering you."

"We're all having fun while Arina is away doing who knows what. Doesn't that feel wrong to you?" Sophie admitted. Biana let out a sigh.

"It feels a bit strange, yes, but it's your birthday. You should be having fun."

"It doesn't feel the same without her." Sophie said.

"We'll get her back, I promise."  Biana told her. Sophie was tired of hearing it. She sighed and continued picking up the remainder of the decorations. After everything was picked up, only Keefe and Tam remained. The rest of her friends had gone home.

"Foster, can I talk to you?" Keefe asked.

"Sure," Sophie said after picking up his painting. She took his hand to lead him to her room. "What's up?" she asked, placing his painting on her nightstand.

"I just wanted to ask how your day was," he said.

"We spent the whole day together, Keefe. And you can feel my emotions. You shouldn't need to ask,"

"I might be able to feel them, yeah, but I want to hear about them from you." he responded.

"What's there to tell? We went to a jewelry store where we happened to see Arina, and then everyone threw a party for me. It wasn't that special that you should need to ask."

"What are so getting so worked up about?" he asked, obviously concerned. 

"I can't do this," Sophie finally said after a painfully long silence.

"You can't do what?"

"I can't do . . . anything."

"Hey. What are you talking about?"

"I don't know! I don't know! Stop asking. Everyone's always asking how I'm doing, what's wrong with me. Well I don't know!" she took a deep breath. "Today was not my greatest day."

"Fos-" he stopped midway, as if he thought he needed to be serious for this. "Sophie, we keep asking because we're worried about you. We all miss Arina too, okay? We just want to make sure you're doing okay."

"Well then why ask when everyone knows the answer?" Sophie exclaimed. "I'm tired of it! I'm not this helpless person who breaks down over everything."

Keefe was rendered speechless. "I'll . . . leave you to it then. Hail me if you need anything." he said, and stepped out of her room. 

Sophie screamed into her pillow. She hated being that kind of girl, but it was hard, especially since she was still upset about the Arina situation. Sophie washed up quickly and changed, getting into bed. She accidentally sat on a small rectangular device, and pulled it out from underneath her.

"My iPod?" she breathed. She gently pressed the play button, and soft music started to play. Falling asleep to the tunes of her childhood, her eyes slowly closed. Her dreams were surprisingly peaceful for what she had recently been through. 

And then, the countdown began. Sophie awaited the day the Tribunal would adjourn and the Council's decision would be final. Then, the day finally came. She leaped to the Tribunal hall with Biana and Keefe. He had been coming over often to help her get through the days, since she had practically lost all of her eyelashes because she had been pulling them all out. 

She sprinted into the Tribunal hall as soon as they appeared, leaving Keefe and Biana behind. She slowed down once she came to the familiar doors leading to the place where she had been to one too many times. She entered the room to find The Council already seated, and the entire Amittryne family seated on the podium.

"Miss Foster, glad you could join us." Councillor Emery said. Sophie took the stairs protruding from the podium and took a seat next to Arina. The girl smiled at her and Sophie returned the gesture. "I guess since everyone who needs to be here is here, then we may begin. We're here to finalize Arina's guardians?" 

Sophie and the Amitrynes nodded. 

"Well, young Miss Amitryne, would you please elaborate on the experiences you have had with your biological family so far?"

Her mother pretty much pushed her forward, her glare obviously telling her to tell The Council that living with them was amazing. "Well," Arina mumbled, "I don't really like living with them."

"Oh? Please explain." Councillor Emery prompted. 

"Well, my sister Novaline is pretty nice, but my parents aren't so great." Arina told them. "They treat me okay, but they're not nearly as nice as Sophie."

"We'll put that into consideration. Thank you for your input." he boomed. "Miss Novaline, could you please provide some input? We didn't get any from you last time, but it seems like you have been spending the most time with Arina."

Novaline gave a graceful curtsy, and began her testimony. "Well," she looked at her parents. "If I'm going to be completely honest, Arina isn't happy with us."

"What are you talking about? She's perfectly fine living with us." Miss Amitryne is yelled.

"Please, settle down." Councillor Emery pleaded, massaging his temples.

"Mom, Dad, you know that Arina doesn't like us! She likes Sophie. And after seeing how much she cared about Arina, I believe that she deserves to have custody of Arina. No matter who Arina's biological parents are."

"Well, then, I guess it's settled then. Miss Foster, Arina is now in your custody, it seems she would be better fitted to reside with you. This Tribunal is now finished." After that, The Council leaped away and Sophie hugged Arina tightly. She heard Miss Amitryne yelling at Novaline. 

"You useless child! Why would you do that?" she raised a hand to strike her, but Sophie stopped her with telekinesis. 

"Hey. Leave her alone!" Sophie yelled. Mr. Amitryne practically hauled away his wife, leaving Sophie, Arina, and Novaline. "Why would you do that?"

"Well, as much as I love Arina, I know she's happier with you."

Sophie didn't know what to say. "Thank you,"

"It was nothing. Goodbye, Sophie." Novaline said, and then leaped away.

"I won't let anything else happen to you," Sophie whispered to Arina.