Prologue: The Beginning of the End

Chapter Song: Exile by Taylor Swift Ft. Bon Iver

Spencer paused for a brief moment, before pulling his head back

Spencer paused for a brief moment, before pulling his head back. He looked again at the woman opposite him. His throat dried out as he noticed the dark circle under her eyes and the red veins showing the remnants of tears. She had been crying all night.

Why was she doing this then? Neither of them wanted this.

But he knew. It had been his fault. One tiny word, one small sentence has cascaded an entire domino of consequences. He had been the one to ruin their lives.

He swallowed hard against the heaviness that had settled above his Adam's apple. It felt like a block of brick and his throat has been stuffed with dry sand.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

Basi looked up from her hands. Her wrists had become so thin. She had become so thin. Her ribs were poking out and her face was so gaunt. Gone was the lively girl that he had grown up with. Instead, a hollow shell sat in front of her. He had been battling his rage and she had been battling something fiercer inside of her. Her depression.

Despite having three PHDs and even an ongoing bachelor's in psychology, Spencer had never felt more stupider before.

How could he have just not seen the signs? How could he have simply ignored her?

Basi's gaze dropped back again to her hands.

"Can we have a moment alone, please?" He whispered to the two lawyers seated beside them. Both of them nodded and slowly shuffled outside.

Spencer kept staring at her. He didn't know what to do. He didn't know how to fix this.

Eventually, his brain forced him to stand up. He stood and walked around the large ebony wood desk and sat in the chair beside Basi.

She tried not to make it obvious, but she flinched back slightly in the chair. Spencer felt sickened to his stomach. He didn't attempt to reach out to her. He didn't attempt to touch her. All he wanted was to look into her eyes.

"I am so sorry Basi." Tears now flowed freely from his eyes. He could no longer try to mask the pain.

"How is sorry going to fix anything Spencer?"

She looked up at him and the same pain was reflected in her eyes.

"It fixes nothing. Not tonight at least." He went down on his knees, his hands coming around hers on her lap. "But I need to be sure that you want this. That we are making the right decision."

She sobbed louder. Amongst her tears, her words came out cracked. "I am not sure Spencer. I will never be. But I need this. Every time I am near you all I hear are those words that you whispered to me that night."

This is all your fault. He had said that day to her. When she had been in bed, bruised and battered, he had grounded his teeth and while barely keeping his rage in he had whispered to her "This is all your fault"

Spencer opened his mouth, but she pressed her finger over his lips. "You cannot take those words back. I know you were hurt, and in anger but those words are the only thing that echoes in my mind." She forced herself to swallow her cry. "I love you, but I need to be away from you as well. I need to be my own person again. I am so sorry."

"No." He whispered out. "Don't apologise to me." He used his thumbs to wipe the tears that still crept out from the corner of her eyes. "I will always love you. And I know so will you. And I will give you what you need, but I swear I will find my way back to you at any cost."

He leaned forward and brushed his lips against hers. It was supposed to be a slight touch. A touch to remind her of his love and of his apology. But as her arms came around him and she pushed her lips into him, the pain faded away.

All he felt was the warmth of her blood that was rushing beneath her lips, her slight chapped skin at which she was always gnawing at with her teeth, and her racing heartbeat underneath her breast as she pushed her body into his. It felt like home.

But he knew the longer they stayed together the harder it would be for them to apart, so he pulled back. Away from her and away from his home.

Love hurts sometimes, and Spencer knew that sometimes things needed to be apart to be brought back together. So, he trusted in the bond that they had, and trusted in their love. There was no need to say it but the two of them were like opposite poles of a magnet. They would always find their way back to each other.

He instead pressed his kiss onto her forehead and wrapped her in a hug. She sighed and fell against him. They stayed that way until their lawyers returned.

Half an hour later they were no longer Mr. and Mrs. Reid.

Hello friends!

Hello friends!

You made it to the end. Thank you so much for giving my story a chance!

But, also, I would love it if you guys left me feedback about the story because I would take anything to improve my writing. So feel free to comment, vote and even share!

And, not to be a narcissist (You can tell I was dying to use some Criminal Minds vocabulary here) but if you would like you can follow me on instagram and twitter @nikitatempest to get access to my short stories and other books I am currently working on.

Thank you once again and see you in the next chapter :)

❌  Not Edited

Prologue of the Chasm series