Chapter 1: Basil vs. Basil, the herb

Chapter Song: Lost Cause by Billie Eilish
*RIP my song choices - Soon enough, you guys will realise that I suck at picking out songs for my chapters 🥲 *

Chapter Song: Lost Cause by Billie Eilish*RIP my song choices - Soon enough, you guys will realise that I suck at picking out songs for my chapters 🥲 *

10 Years Later

"Ok, you take care too sweetheart," Spencer spoke softly into the phone. But even those whispered words couldn't stop the team's attention from snapping to him.

Spencer sighed when he turned around and saw the questioning look on everyone's faces. He knew he was just one second away from getting bombarded by a thousand and one questions.

"Sweetheart?" Derek sang his low, timbre voice showing the mischievous side of his personality. "Who is this sweetheart, Reid?"

Reid rubbed his right temple as he navigated through the narrow aisle of the bureau's jet and sat across Emily in the four-seat area. His lips stayed shut and he flipped through the case file on the desk.

They were on their way back from catching a serial killer who had murdered more than fifteen men, women, and children. They had found the common victimology amongst his victims - which granted was not an easy feat to do considering the wide age range of those that he had murdered. But still, there was a reason the BAU was considered to be the best of the best teams of the FBI. There were very few cases they couldn't actually solve.

He would probably have to spend the whole night writing the report for the entirety of the case. It had been a long week and they had barely gotten a few hours of sleep each. But Spencer knew he would be too wound up for sleep even if Hotch forced them all to go home. No, he wouldn't catch a single wink of sleep, not after hearing the news he just had.

"Reid." Rossi snapped his fingers in front of his face and dragged his attention back to the team. They were all looking at him just like humans would on a strange creature in the zoo. He suddenly felt claustrophobic as he realised they had all taken seats around him and were waiting for him to explain. He yanked on the tie around his neck that suddenly felt like a noose.

"Was it your ex-wife, Spence?" JJ's voice reached and the pressure on his lungs gave way. He felt silly for feeling panicked to explain what was going to the people who knew him better than the palm of their hands. It wasn't that he liked to keep secrets - on the contrary, he was quite an open book - but it was because it wasn't his secret to tell and a part of him would always feel guilty about not telling his team members this important aspect of him.

"Uh," He stammered. "Yea, it was her."

"You call your ex-wife sweetheart?" Rossi exclaimed in astonishment. Rossi would never understand the situation between him and Basil. He wasn't even on speaking terms with any of his ex-wives.

Spencer raised his eyebrows at him and smiled calmly. "She is my best friend."

"Really?" That was from Hotch now. Reid felt his hackles rising. He didn't like to explain his private relationships to everyone. They looked at him like they were scrutinising a bug under a microscope.