chasing shadows in a grocery line (part 2)

"i knew i'd curse you for the longest time"

for the longest time"

"chasing shadows
in a grocery line"

♠ ♥ ♦ ♠

Somehow, through the chaos, Joe had woken up. He looked over at Taylor, who had since calmed down but was still sniveling quietly.

He reached over and hugged her body gently, rocking them back and forth. He leaned back and brushed a stray strand of hair out of her eyes.

He tilted her chin so they were looking each other eye to eye. "Taylor. What's going on?" he asked sternly but softly.

"They're back," she whispered, clinging onto his shirt tightly.

"The nightmares?" he asked quietly, mumbling into her hair.

She nodded slightly and leaned her head onto her shoulder. "I thought it wouldn't come back, but it did."

"Is this because of me being here?" Joe questioned, now drawing circles on her back.

"Maybe." Taylor sighed. "Or maybe just because it's been a year since all that..." she trailed off.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, squeezing her body tightly. "I don't know how we ended up here, but I should've stayed by your side."

24th December, 2017

"It's gone," Taylor cried unstoppably, staring at the death certificate. "We lost our baby."

"It will be okay," Joe wrapped his arms around Taylor comfortingly. "I'm so sorry," he whispered into her hair.

"It's not your fault," Taylor smiled weakly.

"It's not yours either, babe. I don't want you to put any blame on yourself, alright?" Joe turned her around so they were facing each other and tilted her head so she was looking him in the eyes

"Okay. But can I sleep in the guest room tonight? I just need some space."

"You can take our room, I'll take the guest room, my love."

"Love you," Taylor mumbled, shrinking her hands into her sweater sleeves.

"Love you too babe. Remember what I said, okay?"

"Okay."

"I'll see you tomorrow morning then," Joe placed a kiss onto her head and her lips, before hugging her fragile body again.