eight hargreeves

so i mentioned character breakdowns

i was originally going to break down an oc with like a faceclaim but then i changed my mind. why not use the character i've spent the most time with?

welcome to

the breakdown of (y/n) "eight" hargreeves

i'm gonna set this up like an apply fic form, aka name, nicknames, etc etc. i will also be referring to this character as eight because writing out (y/n) a billion times does not sound like fun

the basics

name: eight hargreeves

nicknames: honestly, eight is never really referred to as anything besides her name and eight

age: mentally, around 31. physically, around 14

gender: not specified

pronouns: she/her are the ones used in the story

sexuality: never specified/up for interpretation. the main love interest is male. another female character has a crush on eight. they kiss, but eight does not reciprocate the feelings.

in depth things

personality: what i was going for with eight's personality was something similar to five, but with more empathy. yes, they both spent a long time away from people. however, five was toughened by the apocalypse. eight was basically asleep for seventeen years, therefore she was able to retain some sort of sympathy. she drops a couple of witty and sarcastic remarks. occasionally i would write in one of five's lines as eight's instead. i would say the sarcasm is a bit of a defense mechanism. it's strongest around five because of their rocky relationship. she doesn't know how to react and attempts to deflect him. as mentioned in the story, she never really had time to grow outside connections until she met maria.

backstory: eight hargreeves was born october 1, 1989 along with 43 other children. i haven't really gone in depth with eight's real family, but neither has the show. eight's mother was a single woman who ended up dying during the childbirth. reginald hargreeves saw the opportunity and immediately took her in. (skipping over childhood things, which will be explained in the next section) when eight was 13 years old, she was shot by a future five hargreeves and put in a coma for seventeen years. she awoke around the time her father died, just in time to catch her siblings back in the house. you already know what happens next. skipping over the events of season one, eight was plopped into the 1960s alongside luther hargreeves. after an embarrassingly uneventful trip to the academy, they were picked up by jack ruby. eight spent most of her time around maria ruby, jack's daughter. they shared a need for connection, and bonded over the feeling of being overlooked by adult men. now skipping over the events of season two, we've reached a pause in eight's story. or really, a rewritten timeline. reginald hargreeves has now recruited eight different children, including ben and our eight. after seeing the disaster that was the umbrella academy, i would like to think reginald thought he made some mistakes. he needed different kids. except for eight. with two powers, she was definitely a keeper.

extras

favorite quotes:
"yeah hi you little bitch"
"i can actually maintain two powers"
"you always bother us luther"

notes:
- i'd like to think eight has dyed her hair before and gotten yelled at by reggie
- i was planning on writing a tails christmas special set in the 60s where eight defends ray from something (i would have eventually figured that out) and helps him buy a gift for allison, not knowing they're married. the idea got scrapped because it was taking too long to write
- eight had a deep talk with luther about his feelings after their failed visit to the academy in the 60s. bonding actually happened but they don't talk about that anymore, there's just a little bit more of a mutual respect between the two
- depending on the events of season 3, we might see eight with different powers

thanks for reading guys :)) i know it's kinda short but i miss writing about this character. very very excited for season three. eight hargreeves is returning next year!