Chapter 3

Was I dead, no, I couldn't be. I still heard the fighting. That and Kai by my side, crying, trying to wake me up. Oh how I wanted to tell them I was okay. They didn't deserve this heartbreak. The only problem is I couldn't move, couldn't breathe, couldn't...think. I also didn't know if I was okay.

I felt a warm kiss on my forehead and assumed it was Kai. I felt horrible. I just wanted to wake up from the horrible nightmare. I heard Horace tell Kai that we won. Then he saw me. I felt him pick me up and carry me to his hammock. He gave Kai something to give me, "She will wake up soon, I promise," I heard him say. Kai put something around my neck, I assumed it was a necklace. Then, I felt warm again, warmth and pain. Slowly I gained control again, I gasped for air forcing my eyes open. I looked at Kai, they were crying. I started crying with them.

"You're okay, you're okay, it's all okay," they were telling me. I looked down at the necklace, it was beautiful, it wasn't the one my uncle had given me, it was different. It had a charm that was a bird cage with a small opal bird inside of it. Horace came back in and said I could not take it off for 2 months, or I'd die again. He also subtly mentioned that I could keep it.

Before he had the chance to walk out of the door I called him, "Horace!" I waited for a response he just paused and glanced at me, "thank you," I said. He walked out again, I noticed tears on his face as he was leaving. While Kai was busy doing something, I tried to stand, I fell. Kai heard me and ran over to me.

"No, you're too weak right now Crys," he told me. I wanted to help. I knew there was something I could help with. Maybe they were right, maybe I did need rest. They laid me back down in the hammock and as I was drifting off I heard Kai say, "l'amour est gratuit." This brought a sense of safety over me. I drifted farther off until I found myself deep in a dream. I was living life as a 17 year old should, no worries, no huge directions, not always being in danger of dying. I was with Kai, we were in the great mountains of Vinchester, watching the sunset. They fell asleep on my lap and I was at peace for the first time in the past month. I wished I could stay there forever but then I felt my body being flung out of the hammock into a wall.

A storm. I slowly got up and used the rest of my strength to go find Kai, "Captain, I'm glad to see you standing, your partner just got thrown over, we need your commands on what to do," Horace spoke to me so calmly it felt surreal.

"WELL GET THEM OF COURSE!" I yelled, I was not going to lose Kai. They were all I had left. We all pulled Kai back on board. They didn't have any visible injuries, and they got up and walked towards me like nothing happened.

"Crys, you aren't supposed to be up," they said.

"Well if I wasn't you'd be dead, and I'm fine thank you," I ended that conversation really quick. My only goal at the moment was to get out of the storm, so that's what I told them to do. Somewhere along the line of us getting out Horace must've fallen over, I couldn't find him anywhere, neither could the crew. "We will mourn him tonight," I said with a lump in my throat.

That night Kai said a prayer for Horace, that's when I noticed Olive. I got up to go see her, then I noticed another familiar face, and then another. Olive was with my uncle and Horace. I ran to Horace crying, "Oh, I'm so sorry Horace, I- I didn't know you fell over and- I wanted to save you but it was too late."

He turned to me, "Oh, Rys, it isn't your fault, There was nothing you could've done. The storm got me before the ocean did, I was already dead on the boat, it was my body that fell over not me. Thanks for the prayers though, and we are all here to help you proceed with this mission."

"Well except me, there was a reason I left," I heard my uncle say, then he vanished. The fucking bastard. He left me to do his job. Alone. That surprisingly was the least of my worries though. Kai was top priority. They slowly seemed as though they were sinking into a deep pit of depression, I knew how they felt. I was just hoping it wouldn't get worse. I couldn't lose Kai.