17 | THE DILEMMA

ღ

MAGGIE'S POV

As I stare at myself in the mirror, a disconcerting feeling creeps up the back of my neck because I don't recognize the girl staring back at me.

Sure, I still look like Maggie Brumfield, the once sweet and innocent girl who had morals and proudly stood up for what she believed in. But, on the inside, everything has changed. Morals be damned. Maggie 2.0 is a selfish and ruthless bitch who honestly deserves whatever is coming for her.

Knowing what all is at stake, I've gotten better at ignoring my conscience. 

I have another date with Samuel tonight. I'm going to ask him his thoughts on the lore surrounding Brinton Forest, and if all goes well, I'll have successfully convinced him to do the ritual. Laudon will come to take his soul as a replacement for mine, and then I'll finally be done with Hell and its black-eyed demons. Good fucking riddance.

"You look gorgeous, honey. What's the occasion?" My mother stops by the bathroom door to assess me, smiling in approval.

"I have a hot date with your favorite front desk employee," I speak slowly while struggling with my liquid eyeliner. "And in case you need me to be more specific, I'm talking about Sam."

"Oh! That's such lovely news! He's a sweet boy, and so hardworking. I'm glad you two made a connection." She steps inside to give me a quick peck on the cheek. "Have fun tonight, baby girl. And I know you're grown, but try not to stay out too late. It's a lot of crazies out there."

I snort a laugh. "I already know."  

Twenty minutes later, I'm done up from head to toe.

I don't know why I feel the need to go above and beyond for Samuel when he's made it clear that he likes me for me, not me solely for my looks. Maybe it's my subconscious acting out, wanting me to look my best and play my part well. That's all that this is—a big, fraudulent show. And I'm the unlucky star.

"Ew." Gregg mutters from the sofa after I make it downstairs. I flip him the bird, knowing he's just teasing me. "Who are you going to see dressed like that? And do I know him?"

"To quote an old classic, the best of business in the line of business is to mind your business." I laugh when he gives me a puzzled look. "Wow. Your musical palette needs a serious upgrade."

"I actually prefer listening to music from this era, so I'm all good."

"Whatever, baby brother. I don't have to explain myself to you. It isn't like you ever tell me anything about the girls you're dating."

"So you have a date tonight? Damn, that's all you had to say." Gregg laughs, shaking his head. "And for the record, I don't date. I'm allergic to all things monogamy."