24 | THE TEAMWORK

ღ

LAUDON'S POV

Laudon keeps Maggie close as he leads her through the dark halls of Hell.

A simple snap of the fingers would have easily transported them to their destination, but with Laudon wanting to savor every second that he can have with Maggie, he chose to take the longer path to his father's office. She clings to him as they travel in silence, neither commenting on the menacing screams and maniacal laughter that bounces off the walls around them.

Laudon used to be proud to call Hell his home. Not anymore. Not after he awakened to the cold hard truth that the only somebody in Hell that he could trust wholeheartedly was himself.

"We're almost there," Laudon speaks softly. He grips Maggie's hand a little tighter after she gasps from the sound of chains rattling in the nearby distance. "I promise nothing will harm you while I'm around."

"I believe you," Maggie whispers, and a smile creeps onto Laudon's face at that. "When are you going to tell me where we're going, and why you need my help?"

"There's a lot that my father kept from me growing up," Laudon replies. "To get the answers that I'm after, I'll need to break into his office."

"Holy shit. I can't believe I'm being recruited to help break into Satan's office." Maggie shakes her head in disbelief. Laudon only laughs. "Why me, though? Because if it's my powers that you're after, then you already know how they come and go. I'm not sure how much help I can be, and I'd hate for all this to be nothing but a waste of your time."

"My time is never wasted when you're involved." Laudon flashes Maggie a look that makes her pretty brown eyes sparkle. "Truth is, I'm not as strong as I thought I was. I figured if you and I attempted to combine our powers, considering how you're basically one of a kind at whatever it is you are, then together we could take down the barrier surrounding my father's office. Sounds easy enough, right?"

"Far from it, actually." Maggie lifts her free hand and summons her powers at will, a faint blue light encases her small hand. "This is all I'm able to do."

Laudon makes no attempt to hide the look of shock on his face. "You've been practicing?"

"Kind of," Maggie answers. She lowers her hand and the blue light disappears. "I'll tell you more about it later, but long story short, I'm changing and so are my powers. Not too long ago, I accidentally cut myself while making dinner. Within minutes, my wound healed on its own. Crazy, isn't it?"

"I'd use the word 'fascinating' instead," Laudon remarks. "This is good news for me, at least. If you are getting stronger, then we'll have no problem getting into my father's office."

Maggie rolls her eyes. "If it's 'good news' for you, then it's definitely 'oh no what the fuck is happening' news for me. Seems a little unfair, I'd say."