Chapter 5

Tony had spent the last three hours sitting on the floor of the hallway by novas bedroom door. Worried that she might wake up and get scared or she might need something. He felt like the least he could do was stay just incase.
Nat had found him half asleep against the wall after coming back from the gym on the lower floors. After seeing two plates on the floor in the kitchen she immediately when to find the billionaire, never having see him so exhausted even after a week long binge in his workshop. Eyes immediately darting to the closer door the man was protectively leaning against. He clearly hadn't moved from his spot for hours.
"I'm assuming baby stark is through that door" Nat said taking a seat next to the the new father of the team. Only getting a nod in response. "so how is she doing after bringing her here". Honestly fighting the urge to go into the room to see what the newest stark looks like.
"she umm, she got scared of the elevators and had some trouble trying to get her to eat. Thanks for getting the kids food by the way" Tony answered leaning his head back against the wall. "I'm just waiting to see if she needs something" eyes closing as he kept his ear to the door.
Nat paused wanting to absorb the new information for later. Knowing Bruce and Steve were just as curious and would ask questions later. "she was pretty curious though" Tony huffed smiling faintly, moving his legs which had gone numb. "definitely my kid".
"she eat much" Natasha asked trying to keep the conversation going longer. Trying to get stark to open up about how he's feeling about this whole situation. Still only getting a hum as a response.
"can you do me a favour" Tony spoke up, breaking the silence after remembering stuff he still had to do. Turning his head so he was looking at the red head assassin. "could you go get nova some clothes" he asked pulling out his credit card from his phone case. "she's pretty small so maybe just stick to the 3 to 4 year old section for now. I didn't really remember to get stuff for her since I was more focused on getting her out of the hospital" Tony ranted to his friend feeling like he had to explain himself for his lack of preparation. Nat took the card silently letting the man talk. "I don't know about shoe size so-"
"I'll stick to socks and slippers for now then" Nat finished for him putting the card in one of her pockets and getting up to leave. "you should get some sleep" she said walking down the hall. "you'll be no good tomorrow otherwise".
Grumbling in agreement he huffed, getting up and hearing his stiff joints crack. He opened his bedroom door hesitating for a second before deciding to leave it open incase nova would wake him so she'd know he wouldn't be mad if she came in during the night. Collapsing onto his own bed that he hasn't seen in a week. God he'd missed it. Practically sinking under the covers.
He was out cold in minutes.

************************************

Natasha huffed stepping out of the elevator with countless bags weighing down her arms. Admittedly she had gotten carried away with her late night shopping trip. Especially in the kids arts and crafts section. She'd gotten excited at the opportunity to finally shop for a little girl.

Bruce and Steve looked up from the kitchen when the heard the rustling of the bags. Both amused at the sight of the woman dropping them to the floor the rub her sore arms.

"looks like you had a nice shopping spree" Steve said in shock looking at the countless bags across the floor. "what did you take stark's card or something" he joked slightly. Looking back at his coffee and sharing a glance with Bruce.

"I didn't take it he gave it to me before he went to bed" Nat retorted reaching for an apple. "both men suddenly spit out their coffee at the announcement that the billionaire was back." he asked me to get some stuff for Nova that he wasn't able to get since he was in the hospital the last few days".

"wait, when did tony even get back. I haven't seen him around" Bruce asked leaning on the counter to be part of the conversation. "did you get a look at the kid" he asked firing questions around the room.

"first, I saw him a few hours ago and secondly no" Natasha answer sounding disappointed. "unfortunately baby stark was in bed when I saw his sitting by the bedroom door. I've honestly never seen the man so tired he looked like he was gonna collapse onto the floor".

"did he say anything about the kid" Steve asked worrying about of stark now having to raise a little kid.

"he only mentioned she got scared of the elevator and he had trouble getting her to eat but that expected I guess" Natasha sighed resting her head in her hands. "I mean the kid has literally spent her whole life chained to a basement. She never seen any of this stuff so it must be scary for her" she sighed. Both men going silent at the sad reminder.

"we could ask J.A.R.V.I.S" Bruce pondered allowed attracting the other two's attention. Both looking up at him wondering what he was talking about. "to see what Tony's kid looks like" he elaborated as they continued to look confused. "all we'd have to do was ask to show us the security footage?".

The three of them each looked at each other before immediately calling J.A.R.V.I.S to show them, running to the large TV to watch. Bruce tripping over a bag and clung to Steve to catch his balance. Leaving Nat to reach the screen first.

The three avengers huddled up like children as the watched tony on screen walk out of the elevator with nova covered by his jacket in his arms as he talked to happy hogan. Each pair of eyes glued to the bundle, all they could see was nearly white blonde hair until happy left and stark finally took the jacket off of the little girl. Practically squealing in excitement.

They watched as stark let the kid down to make them food as she wandered slowly around on shaky and very unbalanced steps.

"developmentally this kid's gonna be very behind because of her past" Bruce answered their silent question when they looked at him. "she looked like she never got to learn to walk properly and with rickets she gonna need a lot of physical therapy. I wouldn't be surprised is the poor kids never even talked before" Bruce said having to look away from the screen at the thought of what happened to his best friend's little girl.

"that's heartbreaking" Steve said pointing at the screen. "the kid doesn't even seem to know that it's food Tony's trying to feed her. Just look at how confused she looks". Turning away from the screen along with Nat, having had enough of the tv.

"I'm gonna leave these bags outside Tony's room" Nat said trying to distract herself by organising which bags were clothes so that she could leave the arts and craft stuff on the coffee table for nova in the morning.

Walking down the hall with slightly fewer bags and freezing at the sight of Tony's open bedroom door since he always closed it. Deciding it would be easier to leave the bags in his room instead of the hallway for people to trip over later. Laying the bags down quietly not to wake her friend she looked up as soon as she hear him groan at the crinkling sound of the paper bags.

Smiling at the surprising sight on the bed before her.

It seemed like while she was away the newest little stark had tottled her way inside her father's room after all. Her face covered by Tony's chest with one of his arms gently around her. All Natasha could see was the strands of white blonde hair spread over Tony's chest.

And to think tony had worried earlier that she would never warm up to him.