PROLOGUE

*5 years ago*

ISAAC ANDERSON

Graduation day, the day I was finally prepared and confident to tell the goddess herself, Cassandra Jane Marshall how I really felt about her - that I was in love with her. How can I be in love with a girl that I've never dated before? Simply because I have fell in love with her ever since I was in freshmen year and she smiled at me. Stupid, I know, but if you met Cassandra Marshall's beautiful, dimpled smile and rosy, high cheekbones - you would understand, especially under her hypnotic, dark blue eyes and sof-

"Anderson!" Cheered my bestfriend Nicholas as he jogged towards me in the auditorium, slapping on his graduation hat with a sideway grin, his thin arm wrapped around his girlfriend - Hazel who was talking to Jessica, my other bestfriend. I blinked away the thoughts of Cassandra in my head as I grinned and embraced Nicholas tightly with a laugh.

"We finally did it, huh, Clarke?" I say with a sigh, high-fiving him, Hazel and Jessica laughed and we pulled the girls into the hug as well and they squealed in surprise. A smile erupted onto my face, the four of us, finally made it to the end, I couldn't believe it, we have stuck together since seventh grade, and here we were, six years later, graduating from highschool into college!

Then, of course, my eyes found the luscious brown hair and lightly tanned Californian skin of Cassandra Marshall, God, she looked amazing, in the tight royal blue dress that clung to her skin tightly holding her thin frame, her brown hair was left down in curls, and of course, she was wearing her favorite nude Christian Louboutin heels. I wasn't sure how long I was gaping at Cassandra for, but I heard a scowl and felt a slap on my arm and I blinked, turning to look at who hit me - Jessica. Her brown eyes were glaring daggers at Cassandra, her arms crossed over her chest. "What's so good about her?" I heard her scoff under her breath, and I ignored her as Nicholas smirked. "Ah, I almost forgot, you're finally going to tell the Ice Queen how you feel about her huh? Good luck Anderson. I still think that you're on a suicide mission by telling her this." He warns with a shake of his head. I shrugged, "I have to tell her, and why not now?" I asked, pushing the brim of my thick glasses up my nose.

A few hours later..

"And I now present, the leader of the Scholastics team - Isaac Carter Anderson, who has a scholarship to Harvard College, one of the three students in our town to have this honor!" The principal announced and everyone cheered as I made my way up to the stage, my heart racing as I walked towards our principal, my pale hands quivering in fear - I wasn't sure if it was about the stage fright or the fact that I was going to announce to Cassandra that I loved her. Maybe both.

"Thank-you Mr.Barnes-" I say as he hands me the microphone and gives me a quick hug as he sits down, I turn to face the many faces staring up at me and my stomach does a flip in nervousness, then I see Cassandra in the third row, her eyes staring at me, holy shit, I thought, Cassandra fucking Marshall was looking at me. It's now or never. I motivate my self, I clear my throat.

"Throughout these past six years of my life in school, I met many great friends, formed amazing memories, memorable moments - good and bad, but even though we're going to be exiting this, leaving school - I know that I would have many regrets, by not doing things that I would have wished that I have done, but this is not going to be a regret, or so I hope." I start as my eyes search around the room and fell of Nicholas, Hazel and Jessica who were looking at me wide eyed and their jaw dropping in shock. They didn't think that I was serious about telling Cassandra, did they?

"So, Cassandra Marshall -" I start confidently. Stop, Isaac, this isn't going to end well, I watched as Cassandra's bored facial expression morphed into a confused one, as her eyebrows creased together and her back went straighter as she looked at me. Fvck, fvck, stop Isaac. STOP! "I am, and have always been in love with you, I have fallen in love with every inch, every little flaw you have, your beauty, your voice, your s-" I say louder as I get more confident. WHAT ARE YOU DOING!

Then it happened, Cassandra Marshall stormed up onto the stage, slapped me and tipped her coke bottle over my head, drenching my hair, graduation gown and glasses. Shock was an understatement.

"IS THIS SOME SICK PRANK?" She yelled, her eyes narrowed in fury, ignoring the laughs and cackles in the audience, I was aware that people were filming, while I just wanted to shrink and bury myself under the ground forever at this moment. "TRYING TO, TO EMBARRASS ME IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE SCHOOL? I WOULD NEVER, EVER, DATE AN UGLY, LANKY, FREAK NERD LIKE YOU!" She spat, her words like knives into my heart, I literally felt the pain in my chest, it constricted the air. My lips tried to move to form words, but nothing was coming out, all I heard was laughter growing louder, and louder as tears brimmed my eyes, Cassandra running down the stage, pissed off, I glanced up and saw teachers staring at me in shock.

And, that was the day that I loathed Cassandra Marshall, and didn't love ever again.