Chapter 4

"tryouts"

Andrew POV

Andrew POV

I was putting my stuff away in my locker and turned to leave until I saw Nathan grab Haley's hand and lead her into a classroom. Guess they're a thing, did not expect that. Then it was off to basketball.

"You ready?" Lucas asked. It's been a couple of days since the party and today was the day I would be trying out for the Ravens. Even though people said it should be a breeze with my skill, I still couldn't get over my nerves. "Andrew don't worry man I'm pretty sure you got this." I nodded and put on the training uniform before heading out to the gym.

I walked into the gym seeing the team warming up. The coach blew the whistle making the team gather around him. "As all of you know we got a new boy scout, he'll be running with the team drills along with other things and no fooling around, " looking in between Lucas and Nathan. I have a question about that but every time I try to ask I get interrupted but I'll get answers hopefully. "And now since the chitter-chatter is done go get ready."

The guys split into two teams. Lucas was on my team along with the others and Nathan was on the opposite team, huh guess it'll be like old times. "Why you smirking Stone?" Nathan called out and I just shrugged with a slight grin. Then the whistle blew.

The scrimmage was going pretty smoothly and now it was entering the final minutes of practice or my tryout so far was going decent besides a snarky comment or two by Nathan.

One of the players on my team passed me the ball but this time it wasn't that Tim guy like most of the practice, it was Nathan. Guess this guy wanted a trip down memory lane. It'll be bittersweet. I dribble down to the three-point line and passed the ball to Luke who was slightly open but quickly got lockdown after a few seconds. He passed the ball back to me and Nathan was still being impatient so I decided to use that to my advantage. I dribbled the ball behind my back and took a step back before doing a quick crossover move which resulted in him stumbling back and giving me a free path to the hoop and I wasted no time dunking it.

"What the hell was that!?" Scott yelled, walking up to me at eye level.

"A dunk, " I replied walking off the court to pick up my water. "Also you shouldn't be so eager it causes weakness in your game."

Nathan was about to walk closer but before he could reach me a whistle blew. "Ok enough ladies gather around," Coach said. Nathan scoffed before turning and following the players sitting on the bleaches.

I walked towards the stands and sat next to Lucas. Few players making conversations with me before Coach cleared his throat causing everyone to turn their focus to him.

"When you leave this gym today, I want each one of you to look at the sun because if you lose to Cove City on Friday, I can pretty much guarantee you that sun will not rise the next day." Causing the team to laugh before Whitey yelled, "That's not a joke! I've coached some great players and great team's in this gym, but not one of those great players or great teams has finished a season undefeated. You may be the first. There are only two things separating you from greatness. Number one is Cove City. Number two...is you." pointing his finger at the team.

═════ ◈ ═════

I walked out of the locker rooms and headed down the hall before I heard my name. "Andrew!" I turned my head back to see Haley catching up to me. "You walk fast you know that, " I laughed before she continued the conversation. "So did you make the team?" she asked.

I raised my arms on my sides, "You are looking at the new point guard of the Tree Hill Ravens!" Haley congratulated me. I shook my head a little, "Gotta get used to saying Ravens and not thinking about
them as an opponent, " she chuckled at my comment before coming to a silence. "So you and Nathan huh?" I broke the quietness as she looked at me with a shocked expression. "What? I saw you guys sneak into that classroom earlier. Thinking you were slick or what? But really are you two dating?"

She covered her face and let out a small laugh. "Yeah, it all just happens real fast. Everyone thinks he's a bad guy but he's actually sweet and kind." As she went on saying Nathan was a good guy.

"Haley?" I said pulling her out of her rambling. "I don't need to know everything about him. I just want you-" before I could say anything else I was interrupted.

"I know be careful, you have no idea how many times I've heard that the past days, "

"Actually I was going to say just want you to know that I will always have your heart." I joked resulting in her smacking me on my arm. "I was just gonna go home but maybe you can fill me in with everything going on here and the whole Scotts thing. I feel a little left out here."

"I knew you had a crush on me! And since you listened to the signals to keep your mouth shut, I guess I can catch you up to speed." And for the rest of the conversation, she caught me up to everything going on especially with Lucas and Brooke. Guess she had her eyes on someone else. "What are you doing?"

As I looked around to see if there were any cameras here, "Are you sure this isn't a reality show? Because with everything you just said it sounds like I'm in a movie or something." I commented leaving her to smile and laugh. "Anyways see you later lover girl!" I called before walking off.

═════ ◈ ═════

"How was practice? Did you make the team?" he started asking. A good 'how was your day?' would've worked. At least I had a little bit of peace and quiet.

"Practice went good and I made the team," I answered him. "Also Whitey said something about the sun not coming up if we don't win this upcoming game, " I say entering the living room.

"Well, you should win if don't you'll be looking like a disappointment." I look at him and he was putting his coat on the couch. "I'm just saying the truth."

I clenched my jaw but just let the topic go. "You want dinner, I could go grab something if you want," I asked trying to shake off this uncomfortable tension.

He waved his hand "No I'm good I ate something before I came home. I'm pretty sure there's some stuff in the cabinet to make a sandwich." I looked at him and nodded slowly. "Anyways I'm gonna call it a night." he spoke as he walked upstairs hearing a door shut. Gotta love my dad.