16. Under the Bus

Chris' POV

I didn't want to wake up. It felt so nice and warm under the covers but sleeping was not an option today. I was supposed to help grandpa with a few things around the house. He was getting old and can't do as many things as he used to, so I help him out whenever I visit. 

Once I throw the covers back I get a tiny chill. I bet grandma was having one of her random heat flashes again and turned down the heater.

I debated whether I should put a sweater on before walking downstair but the thought died once my stomach started to growl. As I was descending the stairs I heard voices and high pitched giggles. For a second I thought it was Laura with my sister. A part of me wished it was her at least.

I walked into the kitchen and found Edith, my sister, with a blonde. Nope, definitely not Laura. Demi turned in her seat and gave me the once over. The distasteful look on her face when she did, made me wonder what I ever did to her. She hated me. Like really hated me.

"What happened to you?" Demi raised her brow. "Slept under a bus or something?"

I knew my hair was a little messy but I didn't look that bad in the morning. Yup, she just hated me. I decided to play along anyway. 

"Next to a trash can actually." I grabbed a bowl and started pouring me some cereal. 

"Where you belong," I heard a soft whisper say. Did she really just say that?

I turned around to face her with a smirk on my face. Since when did she have so much spunk? "Did you say something?"

Demi turned her attention to my sister. "Nope, nothing." 

Figures, she wouldn't repeat that again. 

"I can't believe you're engaged," Demi gushed.

Here we go again. What is it with girls and weddings? Edith hasn't shut up since she got the ring on her finger. Yeah, I was happy for her but what more was there to talk about. John is a nice guy and I know he'll take care of her. I made sure he wouldn't break her heart. 

I laughed to myself thinking about the time I threatened him.

"It seems like everyone's getting married," Demi continued. 

She was right. It did feel like everyone was getting married. 

"And I can't even find a man," she cried. She was trying to come across like she was just kidding and being dramatic but underneath that mask, I knew. Every girl dreams about their wedding day. 

Edith placed her hand on Demi's should and smiled. "Are you kidding me? Demi you could find a guy in two seconds if you wanted."

Demi smiled back. 

"Yeah have you looked in the yellow pages...under desperate." I couldn't help but blurt out. If she was being mean, I was going to be mean right back. 

Demi rolled her eyes at me. Just the way she did it reminded me of Laura. Laura always rolls her eyes in that kind of annoying fashion. 

"Don't listen to him. Blood doesn't always flow to his brain. It makes him more idiotic than usual." 

"Good one sis." I slurped my food just to aggravate them. 

Edith scrunched her face, giving me the impression she was really, really annoyed. Perfect. 

"Can you just disappear like now?" 

I shook my head. This was actually kinda fun. 

"Fine whatever." Edith focused her attention back to Demi. "Well I was wondering if you and some of the other girls wanted to help me go wedding dress shopping today."