10. Forgetting Pain

Laura's POV

I couldn't sleep. Oh gosh, and I didn't even know why. I was just restless and it was killing me because I had work in four hours. I tossed the covers aside and got up. What's the point in staying in bed when I knew there was no way I was going back to sleep?

I might as well go to work early. The hospital was pestering people for extra work hours anyway. I'll just go in now. 

It was a thirty minute drive there and when I got there at 4am Leslie, the night shift nurse, looked at me with a strange look and then stared at the clock. 

"It's a little early for you to come in, don't you think hun?" Leslie was the sweetest person I knew in that hospital and she was growning on me like more of a mother figure. 

"I know but I couldn't sleep and figured you could use an extra pair of hands." 

She smiled. "Of course I could."

Leslie handed me a couple of clipboards and I headed off to work. I went through a ton of files and papers before checking up on a few patients. 

It was about 6am when I decided to visit one of my favorite patients in the building. I opened the door as quietly as I could so I wouldn't wake him up but to my surprise he was already up.

His full head of curly blond hair was peeking over the covers. His beautiful blue eyes were looking at me with such excitement as I made my way towards him. 

"Laura, Laura you came." His cheery voice echoed in the plain white room. 

I pulled his tiny five year old body into my arms and held him tight. "Of course I did and I brought you something." 

I took the bar to Twix out of my pocket and gave it to him. Jayden snatched it from my hands and aggressively started opening it. 

I laughed. He was too cute. 

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you," he chanted over and over while hugging me.

"You're welcome." 

He devoured the chocolate bar like it was the last one on earth. I had a habit of bringing him sweets but I couldn't help it. That little boy was too adorable for his own good. It was even hard to believe his heart was failing. 

It had been five months and still there has been no heart for him. Then again he was on a long list of awaiting patients. The worst part was he was on his own. His parents had died in a car crash and he had only one remaining relative who didn't give a crap about him. 

It makes me cry sometimes thinking about it. That's why I spend most of my time in the hospital checking up on him. He had grown on me so much the past few months. 

"How did you sleep sweetheart?"

He flashed me a big smile that melted my heart all over again. "Goooood."

I ruffled his hair before getting up. "I have a few more rounds to do but I'll be back in an hour, OK?"

He nodded his head and I walked out with an instant smile on my face. I wanted a little boy just like that one day. 

I spent the next hour doing boring check ups again and paper work while still being half asleep. I bet I looked awful too with heavy black bags under my eyes. Gross. But then again none of the patients care how I look. I've noticed while working at the hospital that you can meet the most interesting people with the craziest stories to tell. 

When I got back to Jayden's room he was up anymore. He was laying back in his bed and he was breathing heavely. I rushed over to him and placed my hand over his forehead. His skin was ghostly white and he was burning up. Inside I started to panic but I put a smile on and asked him, "Honey how are you feeling?"