Chapter 4 | "falling out"

When Hyewon woke up the next morning, she felt refreshed and excited for the day ahead of her. She had been planning everything so far during the week but decided to leave their anniversary open to Xiaojun. He's always told her in the past that he wanted to treat her to something special on their anniversary day.

After doing some light makeup and picking out a cute outfit, she skipped out of her room and down to the kitchen where Lucas was already sitting.

"Well you certainly look happy." He said as she strolled into the kitchen. "Looking forward to whatever special thing Xiaojun has planned for today?"

"How did you remember that?" She asked with a chuckle. "Did he tell you something?"

"No he didn't, and even if he did, I wouldn't snitch." Lucas replied with a grin. "You're my best friend, of course I remember the date of your anniversary."

Just as she was about to respond, Xiaojun walked into the kitchen. Flashing her a quick wink, Lucas stood and walked out to give them some privacy.

Hyewon stood up from her seat, beaming at her boyfriend as he made himself a cup of coffee.

"Morning, Xiaojun." She said lightly, still grinning like an idiot.

"Hey, babe." He replied taking a sip of his coffee. "You look cute."

"Thanks." She chuckled. "So, anything special planned for today?" She asked, wiggling her eyebrows at him as she waited for his response.

"Oh yeah." He said, straightening up as her eyes widened excitedly. "Some old high school friends of mine wanted to hang out today, so I'll be gone until tonight."

Just light that she felt her whole mood drop. The smile fell off her face, the upbeat tension in her muscles evaporated, and the excited butterflies in her stomach essentially died.

"Oh." Was all she could say.

"Yeah, I actually have to run right now if I'm going to make it on time." He said, checking his watch and running towards the door. "I'll see you later, love you."

"Bye..."

She watched as he left her alone in the kitchen, her small frame slumping into one of the chairs.

Did he really forget our anniversary?

Just then the door slammed back open, she quickly glanced up with a smile but only slumped back down when she saw that it was Lucas.

"So? What's did he say? What are you two doing today? I saw him running towards his room so it must be good!" He exclaimed excitedly. "Tell me everything."

"There's nothing to tell." She grumbled out.

"What does that mean?" He asked. "You don't look very happy for someone whos celebrating a whole year with her boyfriend."

"Yeah well, apparently there's no celebration going on." She replied with a frown. "I think he forgot."

"You're joking." Lucas said, his expression one of pure disbelief as his smile dropped.

"Nope. He didn't say anything about it to me, he just told me that he's actually spending the whole day with some of his old school friends and won't be back until tonight."

"No fucking way, he's leaving you alone all day?" She nodded. "Wait, maybe this is all part of a plan."

"What do you mean?"

"Maybe he's working on something and is going to surprise you tonight. You know, like make you feel all down and sad then boom! Greatest anniversary gift ever." He said excitedly, trying to lift her mood.