Possession: 9 Belonging

Gally sat with Nikola at lunch time, away from the other boys where they wouldn't be overheard. He learned that her little hideaway wasn't so hidden, that she would actually just sit at the work table... the one he often used. It was his table; she sat at his table. He tried not to focus on that fact.

After her startling revelation about the dreams they only had time for a few words before they had to get to work.

"Me?" He had exclaimed with palpable surprise and confusion. "Why me?"

"I don't know!" She held up her hands helplessly, just as confused. "Maybe it's because you stand out? Or because I spent the most time with you right after I got here, I don't know. I don't know anything."

Her voice shook a little and she threaded her fingers into her hair as she looked into the opening of the maze. She seemed to be on the verge of a freak out, and he couldn't handle her freaking out, he was barely stable himself.

"It's ok," he said, trying to sound soothing. "I believe you. Just... let's just do our morning work, let this sink in a little, and then we'll talk about it lunch. Maybe you'll remember something or one of us will figure something out by then."

That's how he found himself alone with her at lunch on the very day he'd promised to put distance between them. He was afraid of getting caught alone with her, being accused of breaking the big rule, but it would be worse if they tried to sneak off. Being in the open would indicate they expected someone to see them together and it wasn't a big deal. That didn't make him any more comfortable.

"Sorry I made you uncomfortable," she said as she slumped on her stool, poking at her food instead of looking at him. "It's probably super creepy to find out some one is dreaming about you in less than a week."

He paused because she had a point. "Well, dreams are weird things. You can't really control them," he still tried to make her feel better anyway. Her words about him standing out were still ringing in his ears though. After a beat he finally caved and cautiously began, "Can I ask..."

"It was nothing weird, swear to god," she interjected her assurance into his pause, her eyes locking onto his with a pleading look that he believe her. "The first time, I was running in the maze, I was scared of something I think. I came around the corner and first I felt you grab my shoulders and stop me, and you asked me what was wrong. You said my name and that's when I woke up. The second time..." her eyes trailed away from him and she got a little slumpy again as she played with her fork. "I didn't actually see you. I was running in the maze again and fell, and I felt someone help me up. I didn't get a chance to see who it was before I woke up, but I just kind of knew- or I just assumed because of the last dream," she shrugged.

He watched her a little absent mindedly for a moment, taking in the fact that once again she was being expressive with him.

"That's no big deal," he finally declared. "It makes sense I guess, I was the first one to help you with something, that's a good explanation, right?"

She nodded, still not looking at him. "Pretty much the only thing that makes sense," she said before her gaze slowly shifted back to him.

He felt like they were both not saying the same thing. It hung unsaid between them, though.

'What if we knew each other before?'

After that, the distance invited itself between them. She kept on her tour of jobs and Gally did what he always did, what he did best. Still it nagged at him, the thought of what keeper she would be working under. That's not how he really thought of it though, he thought 'what keeper would get her' and he finally discovered why it troubled him so much.

It was the day before the gathering where they'd settle on her assignment, and Gally had a clear plan in mind. He was confident he had the answer to the problem that only he saw.

"Newt," he said in greeting as he sat down at his lunch table.

Being friends, Newt wasn't shocked by his appearance but it was at least curious. "Gally," he greeted in return, suspicion lilting the word slightly.

Gally was already uncomfortable, knowing Newt was more than willing to tease him about Nikola. But he knew he had to plant this idea in Newt's head for it to work. It was easier to reason with him one on one than the whole council at once. They had a habit of only listening to him when they needed his specific knowledge or skill set and not much outside of that.

"I get the feeling we're about to talk about someone in particular," Newt said with a small grin as he eyed Gally.

"The gathering to assign her job is tomorrow," Gally jumped right in, trying to just barrel over Newt's cheekiness and get serious. "And I have some concerns."

"Concerned she won't be a builder?" Newt pressed.

"Assigning her to a keeper is a bad idea," Gally went on like he didn't say anything. "It could result in jealousy among the other keepers or crews, and the keeper could abuse his position. He could get possessive of her, or someone could just think that he was, and it could cause a lot of trouble with that new rule."

Newt finally had a serious expression as well. "Yeah, Alby has already thought of all that. I assume you have some kind of solution though?"

Gally swallowed, knowing that what he had to say would probably shock Newt. But he had to sell it. "I think we should make her a keeper."

Newt's eyes popped wide open as his head pulled back, he was reeling.

"Hold on, just listen," Gally tried to reign him back in. "Think about it. What if more girls show up? Do we want the tension of who gets this one, or who has the most girls? If Nikola was a keeper, any future girls could just go with her. And it would give her a voice on the council."

Newt looked intrigued by that statement. "A voice on the council."

"Can anyone else speak for her?" Gally pressed. "She has a unique perspective on things and should have a say in matters that affect her life. That's the only way we can truly uphold the rule."

Newt was nodding now and Gally knew he'd made his point.

"You're right," Newt finally admitted, still surprised by it. "It's the only way to make sure she doesn't belong to anyone."