Afterlife Part 8

When Gally felt better, Fontain had helped him up and they began a slow walk back to the infirmary. Luckily some others met them near the sky bridge with a wheel chair, which, much like Gally himself, had seen better days. Gally's pride didn't like it but his lungs and legs were relieved.

Oddly enough he was happy to be back in his familiar bed in the infirmary. He didn't care for getting stuck with a needle when Fontain hooked an IV up to him, but he needed more fluids than he could drink. He melted into the bed and flitted on the restful edge of sleep and awake as Fontain started cleaning the few wounds he had.

He thought about Dan and what he had done, how guilty the others had looked. Were they in on it too? He wished he'd never ditched Madison that day, that was the biggest regret in his new life.

"Was that Madison?" he asked Fontain in a slurred and tired voice.

"What do you mean?" Fontain asked him, wrapping a bandage around his arm. "You saw her a little while ago, do you remember that?" he seemed a little concerned, maybe he thought of a concussion.

"Was Madison the one... shooting?" Gally clarified, still keeping his heavy eyes closed.

Fontain let out something like a scoff but not so cruel. "Hard to believe, but yes," he answered. "Much to her dismay she just has a sharp shooter's knack."

"Why?" Gally pressed as monosyllabic as possible and hoped Fontain would understand.

"Because she hates killing," Fontain sighed. "Even when she sits here and tells you they're not them anymore when they're past The Gone... she still sees a beating heart that stops because of her." There was a pause. Fontain sounded tired and perplexed so Gally waited for him to go on as he assumed he would.

"As much as she hates Wicked and what they're doing, she thinks- or dare I say, she hopes they find a cure. In general she believes a cure will be found one day and they'll go and cure all the cranks. All the cranks but the ones she's killed. She doesn't see herself putting down something that isn't human anymore, she sees a future they'll never have because of her." Fontain carelessly flung the first aid kit at the counter where it left a dent in the wall and made a fair clatter.

Gally felt terrible. Madison was a good person, the person he should have stuck with, then none of this ever would have happened. He never would have gone out there, Dan would never have tried to kill him, and Madison would never have had to pick up a gun. Life was no better outside of Wicked.

His chin wobbled and a tear slipped from the corner of his eye. He reached up with his free hand and rested it over his eyes in an attempt to keep Fontain from seeing him cry. It was too hard.

"I'm sorry," Gally rasped, feeling his throat constrict painfully.

"Hey," Fontain said softly, grabbing his shoulder comfortingly. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry they all did that to you. I don't blame you, I blame them, they knew what the rules were, they broke them and lied to you and put you in danger- they knew better and you didn't. It's not your fault for trying to trust people."

Gally wiped his face and tried to get a hold of himself. Fontain was comforting and said kind and thoughtful things, he was good practice, too. Gally could only wonder where Madison was and if he'd get a chance to see her anytime soon and apologize to her as well. It would be hard because of his pride, but he knew already that she wouldn't make it difficult for him.

"I still can't believe she pointed that gun at Dan," Fontain commented under his breath. "I haven't seen her this mad in a long... ever."

There was a slam out in the hall and some muffled voices. They got closer and Gally could tell it was Madison and Abe.