T H R E E

Yet again, it was a busy night for the O'Hara family

After getting quite the earful from her Mammy and Da for the incident at school three days ago— the girl getting grassed by none other than her baby sister, Maeve was in the shite house.

However, to try and make things up, the O'Hara family had invited the Quinns, the Devlins and the Mallons over for supper. The Devlin's were unavailable for reasons that weren't disclosed, as were the Quinn's— their reasoning however was very clear. Erin was in trouble again. Typical. But, this left the Mallon family, which were more that happy to attend, because it meant Deidre wouldn't have to attempt to make dinner.

"Maeve, you best be getting changed out of those clothes!" Aisling O'Hara sang out from the kitchen, where she was chopping up vegetables. Both her husband and her mother setting the table and hurriedly cleaning up around the house. "The fashion nowadays is so disappointing"

"But Mammy, it's only the Mallons? I don't need to be dressed for a high tea"

The older woman only have to give her daughter the eye, before Maeve was making her way upstairs quickly, to change out of her clothes. She threw on a warm jumper and changed out of her ripped jeans into normal ones, a knock at the door being heard clearly by the whole household.

"I'll get it!"

Maeve looked into the mirror and tried to add volume her dull, straight hair but with no avail. She made a b-line down the stairs and to the front door, swinging it open with a smile. Deidre, Michelle and James stood before the ginger, all but the boy sporting excited grins. And now that Maeve thought about it, she'd never seen a comfortable smile from him.

"Hello Mae" Deidre smiled, giving the girl a kiss on the cheek. "Keeping out of trouble?"

Maeve smiled at the Mallon matriarch, stepping aside so the trio could step inside, Aisling already running over to greet the family.

"Aye, show us the wee lass who you've taken in!" Cillian boomed as he entered the room, which earned an aggressive smack from a fake smiling, Aisling.

"It's not a lass" the woman whispered through gritted teeth, James awkwardly sporting a tight lipped smile at the interaction.

"It's a wee lad? I thought it was supposed to be a wee lass?"

"Da!" Maeve groaned, sensing that the room had now grown awkward. Trying desperately to stop the conversation.

But thankfully things were saved by the smallest O'Hara.

"Pretty hair!"

Looking at the corner of the room, Nessa O'Hara grinned as her eyes landed on the newcomers, her legs moving quickly as she bounded over to the Maguire boy, flinging her body at his. The adults watched with warm smiles as she hugged him eagerly, her eyes closed contently.