Borrowed Stationery

Peach took a seat upon her bed, and put the small wooden case on her lap. She had just asked a Toad fetch the mail, and had just finished reading through it all. Now it was her pleasure to take the time to reply to whoever was in need of it. Taking out her fountain pen, she began to write, her script large and elegant, just as you'd imagine a princess's handwriting would be.

She stopped, having encountered a problem. Trying to flip through a book that accompanied the stationery, she couldn't find her solution, and contemplatively put a finger to her chin.

"Well, it at least starts with an F... oh, how convenient! Luigi!" she then shouted, waving.

"Hello, Princess, what is it?" said Luigi, having been passing by. "Writing a letter?"

"A few," the mushroom royal giggled. "I just need your help to spell something, that I presume you might, because your brother likes it so much. 'Fettuccine,'" she clarifieid.

"Ah. F-e-t-t-u-c-c-i-n-e. I'm pretty sure it's just one N," explained Luigi, trying to think. "Yes, definitely."

"Thank you! Always such a help you are," Peach beamed as she remarked.

"Who are you writing to, Your Majesty?" asked Luigi.

"It's just to one of the royal departments, I'll be approving something they're up to," the princess explained. "How convenient letters are. How wonderful it is, too, that we have such willing and fast carrier-birds. Do you have someone you'd like to write to?" she then asked, in that feather-floating voice, noting his curiosity.

"I might," the plumber thought aloud for a moment. "If I may, could I borrow some letter-writing things of yours sometime?"

"Oh, keep whatever you need, by all means. I think everyone should have some pen and paper, at least," implored Peach, opening her drawer and pulling such things out for him, then giving them to him. "And some envelopes, too."

"Ah, grazie, Principessa," Luigi happily spoke, receiving these gifts. "You are too kind."

"Anytime, Luigi! Good luck with your letter-writing, then," the princess giggled, then began to get back to her business.

"Those birds you mentioned, do they deliver everywhere?" then inquired Luigi, his tone sparkling with curiosity.

"Hmm. Anywhere they know of, and they know of just about everywhere, yes," Peach then answered. "All you have to do is whistle a certain way," she clarified, and demonstrated, pursing her lips and

"Good. Alright, thank you," Luigi said as he departed.

He was anxious for this idea he had, but all the readier to act on it. Never before had he considered communicating with anyone outside of his little circle of Mushroom Kingdom friends. Sure, he'd had acquaintances and partners in business along the way, but nobody he ever kept in touch with. Now, he was determined to change this, and, with the reckless ambition he couldn't help to have, Luigi made a decision on who to contact.

His thoughts lied further than any good Toad would ever think of. Had the princess not been so generous in freedoms, he would have hesitated to wonder whether or not it would be legal to address a letter to where he was imagining. Moreover, he wondered if it would get through to his destination.

There was, however, no harm in trying, with this sort of thing. So, he picked up his gift, his pen, and started to write. There were only basic questions, and simple well-wishes. Luigi didn't mean to sound cold, but he didn't want to begin with an inquisition, either. That was what he imagined his receiver would get a lot of, if he even took mail.