CHAPTER #1

After episode 14 Season 1, Fan Fiction of Jake and Cassie begins. I'm not using the character outlines for the new 4 witches from the books, as the TV show skewed away from them anyway.  (Disclaimer: I do not own the existing characters or the concept. THIS is just a fan fiction.)

CHAPTER #1

Cassie was in the public library reading up on witch hunters. She could see Faye teasing Jake between the book stacks.  And she also peeked over the top of the book she held and saw Melissa, Diana and Adam at the next table doing the same research. She had no right to be jealous of any of them, but she was.  Adam caught her eye and winked. Cassie ducked behind the book, her face flaming in embarrassment for getting caught.

"In your dreams!" Faye said loudly.

"SSHH!" A few people hissed.

Faye rolled her eyes and sat down with Cassie.  Jake followed her and made sure he sat across from the two of them. Cassie felt his eyes on her, but ignored him and turned to Faye.

"These books don't say much. I think this is a dead end." Cassie said, closing the one she had.

"I agree and I'm bored," Faye complained.

"Maybe we should hunt for the missing family books," Jake suggested.

Both girls looked at him. Cassie's eyes met Jake's and she couldn't look away. "Where would we look?"

Faye didn't like being ignored, "attics, bedrooms and offices."

Diana, Adam and Melissa arrived at the table also.  Adam sat down between Cassie and Diana. Melissa chose to remain standing. Melissa said, "I don't think my step-mom or dad will let me into the attic."

Faye said, "we can wait until parent-teacher night. I think that's tomorrow actually. They'll be gone and we can do it then."

Adam added, "and we only have to make a quick appearance and then can leave."

"Since Cassie and I have our books already, we'll help Melissa look for hers," Jake offered.

"Okay, then Faye and Diana can help me look for mine," Adam said.

Cassie suggested, "we could meet back at the school to make sure Faye's mom is still busy and then we can all help her look for hers." Putting everyones attention on Faye, had the result Cassie had hoped for. Faye stopped staring hate daggers at her.

Faye stood up and everyone followed. Cassie stayed behind to put away the books she had taken off the shelves. The others all left.  Jake went in another direction entirely. He waited until Faye, Adam, Diana and Melissa had all left. Then he went to find Cassie.  He found her on a ladder trying to put away a book that was too high for her to reach. He grinned as he watched her stretch to push it on the shelf. She had only one foot and one hand on the ladder, in her effort to get the book back to where it belonged.

"Why don't you use some magic to put it back?" Jake asked, looking around to make sure no one was near by.

Not knowing anyone was watching her, a surprised Cassie lost her balance and began to fall. She let out a small shriek, then Jake's muscular arms caught her.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Jake apologized. He enjoyed having her in his arms and his eyes reflected his mounting desire.

"Thanks for saving me," Cassie said softly. She was staring into his eyes and couldn't look away. Her heart began beating faster.

Jake put her down and she stood in front of him, still with her arms around his neck. His gaze dropped down to her lips and she felt his direct attention on her. She let go of him and stepped back. Cassie wasn't ready to have him kiss her again. The first time they had kissed was on a dare. The second time she'd done it and he had rejected her. She found Jake to be so confusing. One minute he showed interest and the next he shut down and pushed her away.

"Unlike Faye, I don't want to use magic in public. It's too dangerous."

At the mention of Faye, Jake's eyes went cold. He became his cool self again. "Falling off a ladder isn't safe either."

"Point taken," Cassie replied.

Jake turned to go, then remembered why he'd come to find Cassie. "Since your car is still at the body shop, I'll pick you up from the school."

"Okay, thanks." Cassie had to say something, "um, Jake?"

"What?" Jake turned around to face her.

"I didn't have a chance to really thank you for everything to do with that medallion. You were so brave letting me into your mind."

"Okay," was all Jake said, shrugging his shoulders.

Cassie put a hand on his wrist. She looked up at him and gently said, "I'm sorry you had to go through seeing your parents die again.  Are you okay?"

Jake appreciated that she cared enough to ask, but he wasn't ready to let the pain in again. "I'm fine.  Look I've got to go, see you later."

Her heart went out to him as she saw he was struggling to keep his control. His eyes got wet, but he didn't shed the tears. He left quickly. Cassie knew their circle hadn't forgiven him for being a jerk in the past or for being a witch hunter. But Cassie wasn't like that, she forgave him, it was trusting him that was hard. There was a dangerous vibe he gave off, it scared her as much as it intrigued her. When he'd caught her, he stirred something sexual deep down inside her. If he would just let down his wall a little, show more of his humanity....

"I thought I'd find you still here," Adam said, coming around the corner.

Seeing Adam snapped Cassie back to reality. "I was just cleaning up."

"Need any help?"

"No I'm done. Could I get a ride home with you and Diana?"

"Diana left with Melissa and Faye, so it will be just us." Adam watched for Cassie's reaction, but she kept her face neutral.

They walked to his car after leaving the library, talking about the witch hunters. Cassie only half listened. She felt a connection to Adam, since the first time they'd met. Just like her and Jake, she'd kissed Adam too. With Adam she felt safe, but he still loved Diana. Diana had chosen to end their relationship due to what was written in the stars. But they both found being 'just friends' very hard. Cassie didn't want to hurt either of them. And Adam didn't like Cassie pursuing her investigation into her dark magic.  He felt she was being selfish and reckless. It was one of the things that made her keep secrets from him.

Adam dropped her off, hoping Cassie would invite him in, but she didn't. He drove away, but he really wanted to stay. He knew she was putting some distance between them, because of her loyalty to Diana. What Cassie didn't know, was that when Adam was with her, it made letting Diana go, a lot easier.

Once Cassie was home, she microwaved her dinner and went to her room. Her grandmother was still away and she missed her a lot, but having the whole place to herself was awesome too. She turned on her stereo nice and loud, then sat on her bed to do some homework. Once she was done, the questions about her magic and heritage ran through her mind. She got out a new piece of paper, and organized her thoughts. She wrote down what she knew so far about everyones past that was linked to her circle. Cassie found it odd that mostly it was their mothers who had died, the exception being Jake. He lost both parents in the fire. And if they all had magic, then so should the remaining parents. Why did their parents not talk to them about the past? What were they hiding? Was her grandmother the only one with a crystal? Were there more crystals out there? So many questions made her mind hurt.

"Maybe I'll try to meditate," she said out loud to no one but herself. If she could relax, maybe she could turn the world off for a little bit.

Sitting on the floor, her back to her bed, Cassie crossed her legs. Closing her eyes she concentrated on her breathing. Slow deep breaths.  At first her mind tried to wander, then it focused on nothingness.  At last she began to relax.