Chapter 4: Relationships Are Hard To Do

***********************************************************************

"So, do you like anyone? " I asked Jenny teasingly before sipping lemonade through the straw of my Arnold's cup. She and I were just hanging out at Arnold's. It had been two weeks since I started at Jefferson, and during that time Jenny and I have became close friends which I couldn't have been happier about. Unlike Arlene, Wendy, and Molly, she was super nice and actually interested in being friends with me....at least, from what I could tell....

"What? Noooo," Jenny responded, but her face said otherwise. Her cheeks were flaring a bright red.

"Oh, come on. I know you do," I said with a roll of my eyes.

I finished her off with a pointed look, and she caved in. "Okay, fine, I do, but promise me you won't tell anyone."

I nodded.

She leaned across the table and brought her mouth close to my ear. "I like Richie," she whispered.

A smile formed on my lips. "I knew it."

Jenny rested herself back in her seat and pouted, "You did? How did you know? Was I that obvious?"

"You kind of were. Plus, you always walk with Richie to second period and talk about him more than any other boy at school," I pointed out.

Jenny's lips pulled up into a mischievous grin. "Just like you and Potsie ," she teased.

Now it was my turn to blush, except, unlike Jenny, I looked down at the table since I was a more shy person than her and unable to maintain eye contact.

"You know," Jenny began, "I bet Potsie will ask you to Ralph's costume party next Saturday."

My eyes shot up and met Jenny's. "What? No way, there's lots of other girls he can ask," I said.

Jenny shook her head at my uncertainty. "Trust me, Sarah. I've known Potsie longer than you have. He's had lots of other crushes before, but I can tell that this time is different. He really likes you, like genuinely likes you. To be honest, I wouldn't even be surprised if he asked you to go steady."

Well, that was a lot to take in. My stare fell to the table again. I didn't know what to say, so I said the first question that came to my mind. "Um, has Potsie gone steady before?"

"Yeah, once I think with this girl named Jennifer Jerome. She transferred schools though, and I heard that a long distance relationship wasn't working out for them, so they broke up," Jenny explained.

I was still flabbergasted. I was in love with Potsie; I really was, but was I ready to be in a committed relationship with him? I almost ruined everything between us when he took me to inspiration point, and going steady with someone definitely calls for lots of making out and....maybe even more than that. How was I even supposed to know though? I've only made out with someone once. I wouldn't call myself a pro or anything. Besides, I was mainly copying what Potsie was doing. Oh! What a mess I made for myself!