Chapter 10

a/n: It's finally here, the 10th chapter. I'm sorry for the wait but I hope this meets your expectations. I can't promise frequent updates, but I do love this story and I love Kayden so I'm definitely going to keep writing it. Remember to drink water and take your meds, taking care of yourself is important. 

By 3:00 on Monday, Kayden was already tired of taking notes for all his classes, but he'd successfully gotten through Philosophy, Latin, English, Anatomy, and Math, he even thought he caught a small smile from Elias during English when he saw Kayden scribbling down everything that was on the board. The entire period for History had been taken up by the test, but he felt like he might have done okay on it. He'd spent all of Saturday evening studying and a good few hours Sunday too, he'd even gotten Theo to help go over the flashcards with him, and for the first time he felt like he was understanding and retaining the information. He ended up knowing the answers to most of the questions, but there were still a few that he wasn't sure on so he just guessed and one that he left blank. Even so, he was pretty proud of himself for getting through it. 

Now, he sat with his legs crisscrossed outside on the grass under the shade of a towering oak tree with a small but thick booklet in his lap, leafing through the pages of the handbook.

"I think you're the only one since Ezra to actually read that thing." The redhead looked up and grinned when he saw Grant standing over him with one hand in his pocket. "So what's the deal then?"

"I'm trying to figure out which rules look breakable." Kayden said and that was when Grant noticed the red pen in Kay's hand and ink under a few lines of the book. "-and looking for any loopholes too I guess."

"So have you found anything?" Grant asked, sitting down next to him, taking the book to glance through it. 

"Well Theo said they're pretty strict about the uniform rules, keeping the room clean, curfew, and attendance so I figured those are pretty overdone and you just shouldn't get caught doing them, but there are a few that look fun. The policy says you can only dye your hair natural colors, which means I could dye one side of my hair blond and the other side black and they'd both technically be natural colors still, or I could get a temporary full-body tattoo." 

"Kay, I know you've only been here a month, but you're taking low-hanging fruit with stuff like that. One year there was a janitor who was always too lazy to lock doors behind him so Brooks, Luke, and I went around stealing mops out of all the closets and superglued them to the statues out front so it looked like they were sword fighting with mops and had dreads." Grant chuckled and Kayden laughed softly. 

"Who's Luke?"

"He got expelled last year, caught smoking weed in the woods, I haven't seen him in a while and he just kinda disappeared after that, but I think he's going to Rosewater high now or to St. Williams Prep." He shrugged. 

"My friend Connor and I were always getting up to shit at my old school, he's always been the kind of person to sneak vodka into class and pass it around, and one time he came in wearing roller blades to class and wore them all day, and there was another time the weekend after I got my drivers license, we went on a roadtrip and rented a room at a cheap hotel and snuck into the abandoned Renwick smallpox hospital," He said with a soft smile. 

"You know what, I think we're gonna have loads of fun together." Grant said and Kayden smiled.

"Why don't you get Ezra to do all this with you?" He asked. "You guys seem to do everything together." 

"He doesn't like breaking rules, so I can get him to tag along sometimes, but I respect his boundaries and I know he'd be an anxious wreck the whole time if I forced him to do something he didn't want to." Grant shrugged. "He's more the type to go looking for flowers in the woods with Theo, that's about as rebellious as he gets, but he's fun to hang out with anyway."