08: PSATs from Hell

"You counted it yet?"

"Maybe."

"Is it as much as I think it is?"

"Definitely."

Sky frowns, hovering outside Scott's bedroom as she hears those words. She had been on her way to get snacks for her and Ariel to watch a movie with when she picked up on the boy's suspicious words. They were talking in low tones so it was clear they were trying to be discreet, but that isn't something that comes easily when you share a home with your werewolf sister. 

Carefully, Sky rises onto her tiptoes and quietly turns to the door, creeping towards it before throwing it open, almost bursting in.

"What are you doing?" Sky asks bluntly, making the boys jump in fright, Stiles almost falling back as twists to look at where she stands in the doorway.

"Dude!" Stiles exclaims, bringing a hand to his chest whilst he unsuccessfully tries to hide the black duffle bag behind his body, "Are you trying to kill us?"

Sky tilts her head, "Are you trying to avoid the question?" she wonders, unimpressed. "Don't make me get Ariel on you . . ."

"Okay! Okay," Scott says quickly, gesturing for her to come in. "Close the door."

Sky grins triumphantly, pushing the door closed behind her as she steps further into the room. She looks over to the bag Scott had tried to hide from her and leans forward, jaw-dropping at the contents -- more money than she's ever seen in her life.

"Oh, my God."

"Yeah," Scott agrees, Stiles nodding along. "I know."

"Where did you find that?"

"Garrett's locker."

"Okay, play the tape," Stiles encourages as Sky sits next to them and Scott leans over, pressing play on the tape player they have sitting in between them.

"After entering the IP address, you will be connected through a Darknet portal to an untraceable bank. Once logged in, enter your account number to receive wire transfers. The IP address will deactivate with each transfer. You will be assigned a new IP address if you choose to continue down the list. Remember, visual confirmation is always required for payment."

After a brief pause after listening, Sky frowns, "I don't get it."

"You ever made a wire transfer?" Stiles asks them.

"Never had enough money," Scott replies.

Stiles nods, "So none of us understood a word of that."

"I don't understand any of this. Why would someone use all this money just to kill us?"

"Someone wants you dead, dude. Badly," Stiles points out, frowning when Scott starts to put everything away. "Whoa, whoa, what are you doing?"

Scott gives him a look, "It's late. We've got the PSATs in the morning."

Sky groans, "Don't remind me."

Stiles shakes his head, "No, I meant the money," he says. "$500,000. You know how much money that is?"

"It's 500,000 . . ."

"It's half a million dollars," Stiles repeats as if they were missing the point. "What are you going to do, just slide it under your mattress?"

"We could get takeout with it," Sky suggests. "I'm hungry."

"No," Scott denies her, "I have to talk to Derek. The money's his."