Prologue - Happy Beginnings

Iris woke up to the incessant screeching of her noisy alarm clock. She sighed loudly and pressed the off button. Instead of getting up straight away, she grabbed her phone to check the news, hoping for new information about the new notorious killer in town.

Of course, being the workaholic she was, she never stopped working. Literally. Most nights, she would stay up all night brainstorming and jotting down ideas in her infamous notebook, in which she described everything in all the cases she'd ever been apart of, in excruciating detail.

Leather bound and wilting, the beloved item had been a gift from her great grandmother some years ago. Her advice with it was to utilize it to become "the best damn detective this hick town has ever seen".

Reminiscing on that sweet memory, she smiled to herself. Nearly a century old and still such a badass.

Her great grandmother had been amazing.

Without realizing it, a couple tears had cascaded down her face.

She decided it was time to stop moping and get out of bed.

Climbing out of the warm, welcoming, comfortable place of her slumber, she sleepily staggered toward the restroom like a zombie.

Afterward, she went to her closet and pulled out her outfit for the day, which was kept in her clothes calendar, which she restocked every week, to ensure she had clothes for every day of the week and wouldn't waste time looking for clothes every day.

She tugged on her attire for the day and applied some makeup, as well.

She was startled by Paramore's "Misery Business" as she had just finished her eyeliner, alerting that she'd received a text message.

Iris picked up her phone, expecting an update from her boss.

However, it was only her coworker.
The very same one she'd done.. inappropriate things with last night.

Having ignored her last half a dozen texts, she followed suit with this new one, just barely skimming the message, just in case it was something important related to their case.

It was irrelevant.

Sighing somewhat dejectedly, she carelessly dropped her mobile phone back onto her mattress.

She would see Heather at work today, anyway. 'The longer I wait, the worse it'll be. Idiot.' She chastisingly thought to herself.

Putting it out of her mind, she turned on some music and took her phone off it's charger.

Turning the volume up louder, she grabbed her wallet and shoes, then headed off to the living room where she left her jacket draped over the arm of the sofa, and put down her things.

Walking briskly into the kitchen, the blue haired girl quickly got to work making her breakfast, laying out tortillas, slicing strawberries, and melting chocolate for crêpes.

After she ate, she cleaned up after herself, grabbed her things, and left, making sure to lock the door.

After setting down her belongings, she turned up the volume on her music and left the boring, dreary apartment building, deeply dreading work that day.