3: gunpoint (whumptober 2020)

fills the whumptober prompts from #03 ("manhandled", "forced to their knees" and "held at gunpoint"), as well as "blood loss" (from #10) and "shoot the hostage" (from #16).

-

House wishes he'd known better, wishes he could have known sooner, could've seen this coming, but he never would've expected this if he's telling the truth. How was he supposed to know that this new patient of the week was a wanted serial killer? It's not just something you would know just by looking at somebody, so it's not exactly like House could really be blamed for this.

He'd only just found out right after the team had figured out the guy's identity, and they'd notified the police immediately when they'd realized who he was. But it seems the man knew what was up from the second horrified looks crossed their faces, ones that they just couldn't seem to conceal, and now he's taken a bunch of them hostage in the cafeteria; a few nurses, at least patient or two and/or people related to their patients, some other hospital staff, such as a janitor and the cafeteria staff, a couple of other doctors House could never be bothered to remember the names of, Chase, Wilson, and House himself.

The serial killer, whose name happens to be Daniel, has some of the others barricade the doors for him as he waves his gun around, pointing it at somebody random and clearly taking delight in the way this nurse squirms and whines and asks to be spared, "please, I have a family."

House chances a look over at Wilson, who stands beside him. They have their backs to one of the only free walls without booths, and their hands raised, like everyone else does. Wilson looks back and House can see the nervousness in his eyes, the slight fear there, and it makes House want to do something about it, to make this all stop but he doesn't know how.

House feels it himself, too - the fear and the nervousness - because of course he does; who isn't scared of a maniac with a gun who kills people for fun? But still, he does his best and doesn't let it show on his face or in his body language - he won't let the guy notice that he's afraid.

He watches as Daniel points the gun at one of the doctors House isn't totally familiar with but knows works in oncology with Wilson - he's seen the guy around before. The guy freezes up completely, absolutely terrified, and then the gun moves until it's aimed at Chase momentarily, before quickly moving to another nurse, who bursts into tears and hides behind the janitor.

House has no choice but to drop one of his hands down then to grip his cane tightly, putting all of his weight onto it; his leg hurts too much for him not to, but unfortunately the sudden movement catches Daniel's attention, and then his eyes are on House in an instant.

"You," he starts after a moment as he points the gun at House and the latter can feel Wilson tense up beside him, "I recognize you - you're- you're my doctor. You're the one who was supposed to figure out what's wrong with me, but instead you called the cops on me. This... all of this is your fault, you bastard!"

He waves the gun at House and takes a few steps closer, squaring his shoulders. House raises his eyebrows, pressing closer into Wilson's side, but it's no use; It's not like he can get away from this by hiding behind Wilson and putting his friend in danger.

"I mean, yeah," House admits with an awkward cough, "I'm your doctor, but technically I wasn't the one who called the cops on you, so this isn't technically my f-"

"Shut up," Daniel orders, now close enough to pull House forward by the front of his shirt, jostling Wilson in the process. Daniel yanks the cane out of House's hand and tosses it across the cafeteria and it slides across the floor, coming to a stop somewhere. Daniel presses the gun under House's jaw and against his neck, now demanding, "Get on your knees."