Chapter One: A New Age

Mission date: September [REDACTED], 2019
Location: Paris, France
Type: Assassination
Association(s): S.P.E.A.R. - Hellhounds Division
Assigned LWP(s): L2, 5A

The streets of Paris were filled with its denizens and brimmed with activity. Many flags from around the world were raised high and waved with the winds high above. The blue sky was disrupted by a black plane circling above the clouds.

Within the aircraft, two teenage boys sat across from one another. One was fast asleep while the other twirled a pistol in his hands. It faded in and out of reality with a blue spark whenever it became transparent in his grasp. He yawned and tossed up the firearm as it vanished into thin air. His hair was short and light brown whereas his hazel eyes had a slight glow to them. He wore a black jacket with a gray hood and baggy cargo pants accompanied with combat boots.

"Hey Z." He tried to wake up the white-haired boy sitting across from him. "Wake up already. We're here."

The boy whose hair was at medium length and white as snow, slowly opened his eyes. His ice-blue eyes bore daggers into his partner's soul. A black cloak with a hood was draped over his shoulders while the rest of his attire consisted of a white shirt with long, blue sleeves and blue combat pants that could be mistaken for jeans at first glance. He also wore armored pads were on his knees, elbows, and shoulders. The boy was silent and emotionless as his partner looked through a small window on the wall.

"Our first mission in Paris," the older boy sighed. "This would've been perfect if I was here with Gabby instead."

"Very funny, Arkham." The white-haired boy wasn't amused. His voice was monotone as he sat up in his seat. "After that stunt, you pulled in Las Vegas, no wonder you're still on probation."

"Touché." He crossed his arms and slouched in his chair. "At least I didn't lose that fight. Unlike you and Ven back in California."

"You turned air-to-surface missiles into ICBMs." The boy squinted his ice-blue eyes. "If it wasn't for that Valkyrie, Sin City would've been wiped off the face of the Earth."

"You really know how to hurt a person's ego, Zero." Arkham unbuckled his seat belt and stood up, stretching his arms. "Time to do our jobs." He walked over to the end of the plane and pressed a red button on the wall, causing the cargo ramp to open. "So," he looked over his shoulder, "Winner gets half of the loser's food later?" He grinned as he jumped out with a parachute. Arkham took out an earpiece from his pocket and switched it on.

Zero stood from his seat and walked over to the edge of the ramp. The strong winds made his cloak flap loudly with the flow. "Just where are you going to land without attracting attention?" he asked into his earpiece.

"With everyone busy with their protests and staring down at their phones" — Arkham pulled a strap and his parachute opened, slowing his descent as he approached the Eiffel Tower— "No one will be looking up anyway. While I'm here, maybe I can take that record for the longest sniper kill."

Zero could hear Arkham's ego inflate through their radio. "Be quiet and scout." He turned around, facing the inside of the plane.

"Whatever you say, Z," said Arkham sarcastically.

Zero leaned back out of the plane. He watched it shrink as the distance between them grew rapidly. His cloak flapped rapidly as he descended from the skies above. The plane appeared as if it was a toy with the amount of distance between them. He took a deep breath and turned around in mid-air. Zero faced the ground as he spread the folds of the cloak, suddenly slowing his descent. He glided through the air toward the palace below.