Chapter 54

Chapter 54.

Magnolia felt Draco cringe next to her. Everyone in the room was deathly quiet. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath, waiting for the Dark Lord to respond to Magnolia's informal introduction. Magnolia berated herself; if she was going to get home to Sirius and Harry, she had to be smarter than that. Lord Voldemort changed his name for a reason.

It was a few moments before he reacted. Magnolia couldn't look away from him in those few moments though, she was having difficulty placing the man in front of her as the same boy who had held her in the Chamber of Secrets. He was older, obviously, his dark hair had disappeared, and his eyes were red as they stared as Magnolia. He looked almost skeletal; with only snake-like slits for his nose, and a thin gaunt appearance.

Magnolia wasn't ready for his reaction, and neither it seemed was anyone else around the table. His thin lips parted into a smile and he chuckled at Magnolia, beckoning her and Draco to sit down. The pair did so without relaxing at all, Magnolia was sure that Draco was thinking the same thing as she was. Magnolia was certain that there were going to be repercussions of her calling the Dark Lord by his given name.

"Today, is a blessed day." Voldemort began, as he moved to stand behind Magnolia's chair, "Fifteen years ago, I heard a story which led me to this young lady here. Many of you wonder, I'm sure, why I had no desire- and still have no desire- to harm this talented young witch."

Magnolia felt Voldemort place his hands on her shoulders and stiffened at the touch. Beside her, she could feel the heat rolling off of Draco as he fought to stay still and quiet.

"You see, Magnolia is an incredibly special witch, who's own destiny has no bearing on that of her mother and father, or even her twin brother. Today, we welcome her. Today, we acknowledge that no matter what she chooses, she will always be free of harm from us."

Magnolia frowned slightly. The Dark Lord was promising her protection from not only him, but all of his Death Eaters, no matter what path she chose or who she chose to follow. It made no sense. Everything she had heard of Voldemort told her that he led by fear, he encouraged loyalty through fear, he didn't promise protections against himself.

"Many of you shall remember that Halloween Day so many years ago, I told you all of my plan for that evening. Many of you in this room knew of Miss Potter, and my desire to keep her safe. All of you by now must understand how I had planned to do just that. Unfortunately, my plan had gone somewhat astray that night, however now we have an opportunity to fix that."

Magnolia's mind raced. She was so confused. Voldemort sounded sincere in what he was saying, but it went against everything she thought she knew of him. A part of her rebuffed that thought; in the Chamber he had told her that he would keep her safe, in her dreams last year he did the same. Maybe he actually did want to keep her safe and well- the question was why.

Magnolia was pulled out of her thoughts as Voldemort trailed back to his seat, sitting down with the authority of a man who knew he commanded the attention of everyone in the room. With a click of his long fingers, the table in front of them was suddenly filled with different types of food. Magnolia glanced back at Voldemort, the question in her mind being spoken by one of his followers before she could even finish it herself.

"Surely, you do not expect us to remove our masks?"

"Indeed, I do, Macnair." Voldemort ordered, "I do not believe we have any reason to hide ourselves from Miss Potter."

Voldemort's eyes flitted to Magnolia's, before he flourished his hand and everyone's masks disappeared. Magnolia instantly recognised a few of the faces as parents of Hogwarts students, and Mr and Mrs Malfoy sat directly opposite her and Draco. It seemed to Magnolia, that Mr Malfoy was Voldemort's right-hand man.