[06]

[06]

Lemonade was kind of an inside joke between Calum and Evelyn. Surely it definitely would've been had the concept of an inside joke existed when they were kids, but Evelyn figured she could consider it one now. Then again, Evelyn didn't have inside jokes with anyone at all, so her idea of an inside joke could be completely wrong. She doesn't know. So instead, she'll call their love for lemonade together an understanding. Not nearly as interesting, but something Evelyn can appreciate a lot more.

An understanding.

Lemonade and their lemonade stand were two very massive parts of both Evelyn and Calum's lives as they grew up. They spent nearly every Saturday goofing around at their Lemonade Stand, and offering either pink or yellow lemonade for a small cost. Their parents had come up with the idea and helped them build the stand (it was a great way to teach them to make their own money, with the addition of keeping the wild kids out of their hair for a few hours), and left them to it until they needed to make some more lemonade (they hadn't quite mastered that one yet).

However, as the two grew apart, the cherished lemonade stand was put into storage behind Evelyn's house, never to be touched again. Truthfully, Evelyn hadn't minded in the slightest. She was around ten at the time she and Calum grew apart, and with both of them becoming friends with new people, she didn't have time to dwell over her past friendship and experiences with Calum. It was just that, a past, and Evelyn didn't mind that it hardly existed anymore.

Unfortunately for Evelyn, this is no longer the case. The incident changed a lot about Evelyn: her mindset, how she lived her life, how she acted, and that carefree little girl she once was, was forced to grow up much too quickly, and become a girl she truly is not. This occurrence has been particularly hard on the fact that Calum is back and sipping at a glass of pink lemonade, in front of Evelyn, at The Beachside Hut. Not because Evelyn has an interest in being friends with a famous person - it's actually the last thing she wants for herself - she has begun to miss her once amazing friendship with Calum. Albeit, she didn't really understand why he has made such an effort to talk to her these past few days, she isn't continuing to mind. In fact, perhaps she's beginning to enjoy it a little bit. She would never admit that to herself though. She couldn't.

Calum brings with him something that Evelyn lost a long time ago: a childhood that Evelyn was stripped of much too soon. And with childhood, means next to no responsibilities, and a good time all around. Sadly, hers was gone that day of the accident, and was one of the reasons why Evelyn attempted to take away her own life. If Calum had known that, perhaps he would've come back sooner. Evelyn had considered this the first day they bumped into each other. She pushed the thought away though; Evelyn isn't allowed to miss Calum or their friendship at all. She hasn't been allowed to since the day the two of them stopped being friends. Evelyn knows this. Evelyn wants to un-know this.

The slurping sound of a straw reaching the bottom of the cup is what breaks Evelyn out of her thoughts as she's sweeping the floor behind the counter. She glances at him over her shoulder, only to discover him looking back at her, before she busies herself by looking at the clock on the far wall. According to it, the Hut has been closed for a solid four minutes, but Calum is still here and apparently the only customer still here. Evelyn turns around.

"Did you want another?" She asks politely, awkwardly. This is only the second line she's spoken to Calum since he sat down this evening, not to the lack of him trying, though. Every time he'd make a remark, she'd simply hum or nod her head as a response and eventually, he stopped trying. She expected this though; people always give up on her after a while. She's just surprised he hasn't gotten up and left.

He smiles and nods, "that would be great."

She grabs his cup from him, "unfortunately, I'm going to have to make it to go as the Hut closed five minutes ago. Is that okay?"