Prologue

Honey's POV:
Age six
Before dad leaving

I walk hand in hand with my dad. This is the safest place to be. My dad likes to remind me of the monsters that lurk around each corner of the world. He tells me that he's the only one who can protect me from these monsters. Along with Uncle Illumi. He's who we're going to go meet right now. My dad said that he has a special mission he has to take care of. So I'll be staying with Illumi's family for a while.

  And I don't mind it. I've met the Zoldyck family. My daddy says that they're dangerous people, but I'll be safe with them. As long as they don't find out that he's my father.

  My dad gave me a list of rules I have to follow.

  Rule 1- I cannot under any circumstances tell anybody that I'm Hisoka Morow's daughter.

  Rule 2- I must obey and listen to Uncle Illumi no matter what. Even if he sounds crazy or out of his mind, I must obey.

  Rule 3- I have to dye my hair. My strawberry pink hair has to go. My dad says it's because I'll be easily recognized as his daughter. So he said that I get to change my hair color to whatever I please. And I'm still deciding what color I want. I think I might enjoy a nice blue color.

  Rule 4- I must be kind to the Zoldyck family. They're taking me in for a while, so the least I can do is be appreciative.

  Rule 5- The final and most vital rule...never forget my father. He tells me that he doesn't know how long he'll be gone for so I must always write to him.

  My dad likes to call these the five major rules. And I've sworn to never break the rules.

————

  We walk all the way until we approach a hotel. This is the place Uncle Illumi is meeting us at. It's a nice place. When we walk inside grand chandeliers and a fancy reception area greet us. My dad picks me up and holds me in his arms. He walks into an elevator and I hold him tighter as a couple walks on the same elevator as us.

  Thankfully we get off the elevator before they do.

  We walk down a long hall filled with hundreds of hotel rooms. Then we stop at one of those rooms. The door is slightly opened.

  My dad puts me down and kneels in front of me. He looks me deep in my eyes and I study his face. I have a feeling that my dads not coming back for me. I may be six years old but I'm not dumb. I know my father. I understand this look on his face.

  "You're not coming back," my sweet voice breaks the silence between us, "I don't want you to go."

  "I know you don't. But I already told you, I have a special mission to take care of, Honey. I'll be back for you," my dad puts his hand on cheek, "now remember what I told you. Follow those five major rules."

  "I will daddy. I swear," I put my hand over my heart for emphasis.

  "Hmmm. Now go inside that room. And I'll be back before you know it," he promises me. I follow his instructions. I obey him. And for the next twelve years I keep my promises. Except he never came back for me.

He never came back for me.

————

Hisoka's POV:

  I've never wanted a child. I don't like the thought of having a little kid running around in my personal space for so long. Invading my personal thoughts. All I think about is her. How is she doing? Why is she crying? Is someone going to hurt her?

  It's my job to protect her. My responsibility. Except my bloodlust is only getting stronger. How long has it been since I've killed? Oh the pain...

  That's why I've decided to join the one and only phantom troupe. I need them, to fulfill this bloodlust. But first I need to observe them. And I can't do that with Honey attached to my side.

  So Illumi offered to hand her over to his family. On one condition, they mustn't know that I'm her father.

  I have no problem with this rule. It's her that I'm worried about. How will my Honey react to this? And the scariness of most situations thrill me, but this situation doesn't. It frightens me to not know the future of my daughter.

And this is why I hate kids.

————