Chapter 7

Guo Zhen's POV

Two days from now, Chen Xue was going to go back to her camp, and I hoped time would slow down. I was not ready to part with Chen Xue, but it seemed to be one-sided. As much as she enjoyed talking to me, she didn't seem to mind the fact that she was leaving. 

She had received her rewards today and I was nowhere done with work. An event with the Indians was supposed to happen in two weeks as we recently became allies and it was suggested that we learn more about each other's cultures. 

Hence, we decided to host an event. Problem was, the ladies in India were definitely slimmer than the ladies here in China judging from the size of the clothes that were delivered here. On top of that, the outfits were quite revealing. It was a top that stopped in the middle of the wearer's belly that was paired with a long skirt that reached their legs. 

We were supposed to pick a representative to wear the outfits of each other's countries, and none of the concubines managed to fit in the outfit. What am I going to do? This is going to be embarrassing if a solution does not appear soon. What should I say? That none of the ladies here were thin enough to fit into the outfit? That Chinese citizens were fatter than the Indians?

Even Concubine Chen, who had the best body in the harem, could not pull off the revealing top. 

Rubbing my palms against my face, my mind was flying around and yet, it did not land in a solution. On top of this, we did not have enough performers for the events. 

We lacked dancers and musicians, and for once, I honestly think the concubines are good for nothing. Some of them that I don't recognize could not dance and could not play any instruments. Weren't all girls required to learn something when they were young?

Only the main concubines contributed to this and it wasn't enough. We had 6 performers and that was it. It was at this moment, I longed for my late wife, who used to be the Empress of the country. 

She was slim, beautiful, elegant and definitely talented. She was a born leader, and she could read, write, perform and sing. A sigh left my lips as I thought of her and a sad smile shaped my lips. Why did you leave me? I thought sadly to myself, and it was at this moment, the doors to my room bursted open. 

Jolting into an upright position in my chair, I looked to the door to see General Jiang. Shoving the thoughts I had to the back of my mind, I looked at her questionably. 

A lightbulb appeared in my mind. It must be my wife that is in heaven helping me. Maybe General Jiang could fit into the outfit and pull it off. "I need your help," I blurted out, and she frowned. I laughed at her reaction and she crossed her arms. 

"Don't worry, I just need you to change into something to see if you can fit it. I think it shouldn't be a problem though," I told her and she shrugged, agreeing to it.

Sitting in my chair as I waited for her to change, I thought about the ways she differed from the other females in this palace. She was simple minded and did not care about much, and yet she was much more capable than she thought she was. 

She came back out and I averted my attention to her. She looked at me unamused and turned a full 360 before facing me again. "You know, if you wanted to see my body, you could have just told me instead of making me wear this ridiculous outfit," she said with sarcasm coloring her tone. I didn't answer. I couldn't. 

She was absolutely perfect at this moment. Her waist was slim enough that there were no fats popping out anywhere and her leanness made her body look long under the long skirt even though she was small in nature. All the other concubines looked like potatoes after wearing this outfit because even though they were slim, they weren't toned enough.