| 3 | Nerves | 3 |

Chuck and I were sat down near the box still, he was explaining who and what all the people do here. I could already feel there was going to be a strong connection with him. On the other hand, I had already started taking the brunt of it from the other guys. Catcalling, picking on Chuck more and worst of all; grabbing my clothes. As soon as Alby found out, he immediately called a gathering, me and Chuck included.

"I have heard that some of our fellow Gladers have been harassing our greenie here and worst of all, our youngling, Chuck." There was commotion and as I looked out at everyone, a small group of guys, who were baggers from what Chuck had told me, looked very guilty. Oh- there he was. The slinthead who grabbed my clothes. Who the hell does he think he is! My thoughts were interrupted by Alby again, "Now, I had a horrible feeling this would happen. Nobody in this whole glade gets to touch her without permission from her, got it?" There was more mumbling but it soon died down when Newt said, "So what do you suppose we do?" There was a silence, the atmosphere felt as though you could cut it with a knife.

Alby had a look on his face that you couldn't read so easily, it was very hard to understand. However, he did eventually speak again, "We need rules in place. Lets say.." there was another silence, "Saying inappropriate things about her, a night in the slammer. Touching inappropriately, a day in the slammer and no food, well, that is without consent. Any sexual harassment, 4 days in the slammer and no lunch or dinner. Any hurting or sexual intercourse without permission is an immediate banishment." There was lots of commotion again, "HEY! Everyone shut your mouth. I want you all to treat her like she is one of us. Because from here on out, that's what she is. If you have any problems with that, come speak with me later. Now onto the situation with Chuck. I have heard people have been bullying him for small things like being a slopper and being a little chubby. That is not okay, he is one of us, always has been and always will be. Don't be slintheads, and lets be honest, he is the best thing that has ever happened to this glade. He always manages to put a smile on everyone's face and always keeps everyone motivated. Now, need I say more?"

After a while Alby and the others started talking about me again. A boy with a blood-red shirt on said, "Where will she sleep?". Alby had that look on his face that made me uneasy, "For tonight, I think it's best if we find her a room. Maybe she could sleep with someone she trusts like Chuck or Gally, I see that they are quite close." He glanced over at me as if to ask for my reassurance, I just nodded in response. "Okay, Gally, for now you and the greenie will be sharing a room until further notice. No buts, you will do this." Gally didn't actually look like he was going to complain though which took me by surprise but turns out I wasn't the only one who was shocked by his reaction, a blonde boy who wore a dirty hoodie looked quite baffled by it as well. Another boy, who had bright blonde hair and wore a blue jacket spoke up and said, "What job will she have?" and more havoc started. Then another boy spoke, "Obviously she shouldn't have a job. I mean, she is a girl after all." I could tell I didn't like this boy already. 

"That's enough of that Paul. She deserves just as much respect as we all do around here. If you would like to argue about it, I will be happy to listen to your klunk after this gathering." A few sniggers were heard echoing around the room and I have to say, I think I saw Gally smirk too. It was weird, every time I saw Gally smile in some way, butterflies swarmed in my stomach. It was so strange..

The gathering ended and everyone started to shuffle off to their jobs in different directions. I ran up to Chuck and we started talking about what we think Fry was going to cook for dinner. I said spaghetti and Chuck thought burgers as a boy named Winston had.. well, I think we all know what he did to that cow. Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder and I swiftly turned round, what I saw was definitely not a pleasant sight. Paul. His stupid smirk plastered on his stupid face, his greasy hair sticking to his skin. Just looking at him made me want to throw up the pasta Gally had gotten me earlier. I have to say, I'm clearly a pasta girl. "Hey Hun, so you know how every guy in this glade is swooning over you?" Gosh every word that comes out of his fat gob makes me want to punch him. Come on y/n. Pull yourself together! "Yep. What about it?" God, at least I sound confident, right? "Huh. Feeling strong hm? Not for long.." He looked like he was going to grab my arm but before he could Gally grabbed him by the shoulder, turned him around and told him to "Watch himself". Wait what? Was he watching? Oh my god I'm freaking out.

"Hey um...wait do you know your name yet?" Gally asked. I thought about it and remembered that when I was with Chuck earlier I remembered it. "Oh, yeah its y/n." His facial expression changed weirdly. "Suits you.." and he walked off. Chuck and I stood there staring at Gally as he walked away. We both slowly turned towards each other and he was the first to speak "Oh. My. Shucking. God. He is like, in love with you!" 

"Oh Chuck, don't be silly.." My voice faltered a little and I swore at myself for it. "Aww, has y/n got a crush?" Chuck replied in a sing-song voice. God, I've been here for a day and I already like someone?! "Look, I'm not sure, I barley even know him alright. Give me a little time at least." I said, trying not to question myself too much. By this time, the sun was setting, meeting with the concrete walls ahead, an orange glow spraying from the sun in all directions. I was sat down with Chuck, talking about how weird it was to be the only girl here and how we both wondered what life would be like outside of these walls. But out of nowhere, Chuck blurted out, "You're like a mum to me." I was gobsmacked, it was sweet, the sweetest thing I can remember being said to me. "Aw Chuck, you're like a son to me." And we both laughed and talked until the dinner bell rang. We sat alone on an empty table when an Asian boy and the blonde boy with the hoodie walked over, both dragging Gally with them. "Heyyyy." The blonde boy said, "I'm Newt, that's Minho and of course, you have met Gally here. Mind if we sit with you guys?" I nodded and they all sat down, scoffing their food down their necks. They were all laughing and smiling apart from Gally, who leant his head on his hand, poking his burger with his fork, watching it as if it was dead (well, it was but we don't need to talk about that...) waiting for it to move for some excitement. He was sat across from me, looking depressed as ever. I nudged his foot under the table and he looked up at me with a confused look in his eyes. He nudged mine back and before I knew it, we were playing footsies under the table, sniggering and trying not to laugh. Eventually, he gave up and made a dramatic gesture by putting his hand against his forehead and leaning back, earning more confused looks from the others. We both looked at each other and burst out laughing, and it wasn't the sort of laugh that you would try and hide in front of your crush, it was proper wheezing. Newt mentioned about the bonfire that they would usually have and that they are going to do it tomorrow night. It was fine by me, at least I got to have a bit of fun anyways. I hope tonight will be alright with me sleeping in Gally's room..

A/N: Hey again! Hope you liked this chapter, I'm trying to post at least once a day to keep you guys updated. I know this book is new and I'm not getting many views atm but I hope this has been alright for you guys :) Thanks for reading xx

- Grace xxx