Chapter 1: The Scout

The Grey Foxes vs. The Bobcats peewee hockey game was almost over.  With the scores tied up, all Dahlia Jane had to do was keep the opposing defense out of her teammates' way.  But in reality, things hardly ever go as planned.  So when some Bobcats cornered the Fox with the puck, DJ had to think of another plan quickly.  The long-haired girl squirmed her way through the dogpile and was able to get the Bobcats to ease up a bit but the puck was stolen. 

DJ cursed under her breath.  She took off down the ice as one of her teammates was able to wrestle the puck away.  The puck was passed between her and two other Foxes when they made it in front of the Bobcats' goal.  DJ skated around the net before the puck was passed to her for the last time.  And before the goalie could fathom it, she shot the puck into the net.

The buzzer sounded, signaling the end of the game, and two points were added to the Grey Foxes' side of the scoreboard.  The crowd went wild and the team praised DJ for her win.

- - Δ - -

DJ was exiting the girl's locker room when she was stopped by a small man in a sharp grey suit.

"Dahlia Jane, it's very nice to meet you.  I'm Don Tibbles of Hendrix Hockey Apparel," The man, Mr. Tibbles, introduced himself.

"Oh, hi," DJ greeted tiredly, "How do you know my name?" 

"Well, you're coach told me all about you.  I'm here to offer you a position on the USA hockey team in the Junior Goodwill Games."

"Really? I'd love to!" DJ then sobered as she thought about her father, "But I'll need to ask my dad first."

"Oh, we already let him know.  He agreed to let you participate in the games.  We will have a flight booked to take you to Minneopolis and a driver to take you to the hotel and the arena," Tibbles informed her.  He gave her his business card and told her goodbye.  DJ walked home with a spring in her step.