Chapter 3: Scrimmage

"Great day for a game of hockey.  Ain't it?" Dwayne asked a boy who DJ learned is named Jesse Hall.

"Sure is, Cowboy!" Jesse mocked, which made DJ scoff.

The scrimmage started and the new kids immediately got the puck.  Dwayne passed it to DJ as Portman cleared the way for her.  But Adam Banks caught up to her so she sailed the puck to Luis.  Luis proceeded to rush to the goal and shot the puck past the Ducks' goalie, Greg Goldberg, but Luis crashed into him since he couldn't stop.

"Thanks for breaking my fall, man," Luis told Goldberg.

"Anytime," Goldberg grumbled sarcastically.

Julie kept blocking the Ducks' shots.  Julie tried to block Adam Banks's shot too early, but luckily DJ was able to steal the puck and passed it to Portman. Portman got his team another point.  The Ducks were losing 5-0 near the end.  But then Fulton Reed got the puck.  The Ducks knew that Fulton's shots were extremely powerful, but his aim was terrible.

"Move out the way!" and "Run!" were being shouted by the Ducks.  The new kids had no clue what was happening.

"What a bunch of wussies!" Portman scoffed.

The new kids quickly got the message as the puck bounced off almost every pole and wall insight.  Just then Tibbles walked back in with a lady no one recognized.  Both were oblivious to what was happening around them.  The puck was heading straight for Tibbles's head!

Just before the puck hit Tibbles, DJ blocked it with her arm just in time.  The Ducks stared at her in complete shock.

"What?" She questioned sharply when she noticed the Ducks' faces.

Connie Moreau stepped up and immediately took off DJ's hockey gloves and was horrified to find a giant bruise on her right arm, starting at the base of her palm and ending at her wrist.

"Oh my god!  Are you okay?" Connie exclaimed.

"Yeah, I've had worse" DJ assured.

"Wow! No one has ever been brave enough to even try to block Fulton's shot,"  Guy Germaine clamored, still in shock.

The girl just shrugged, "Not anymore."

- - Δ - -

The lady turned out to be their tutor, who immediately fussed over DJ's bruise and scolded Fulton by telling him 'to regard the safety of those around him.'

Coach Bombay then called the players over for some team exercises.